40GB drive showing as 9.55GB

hiwatt 17:08 23 Jan 08

Hi folks,my brother asked me to look at his computer as it was running VERY slow.His hardrive was full so I uninstalled what programs he doesn't use but this freed up hardly anything.What is really strange is his hardrive is showing as total capacity 9.55g with 477mb free space.His drive is a 40gb yet it's only showing 9.55g?Any ideas what's causing this?It's showing as his D drive with his floppy being A and cd drive E.Any help much appreciated.Thanks.

hiwatt 09:46 24 Jan 08

For some reason there's no "C" drive showing.His local disc is "D" and is only 9.55gb,Yet I definetely remember seeing that it was a 40gb drive.Thanks.

Technotiger 09:51 24 Jan 08

If using XP - try a System Restore, also this could be a glitch in the registry, so try running Ccleaner click here with its default settings.

Or try show all 'Hidden' Folders - Start>Control Panel>Folder Options

Any or all of the above in any order.

Technotiger 09:52 24 Jan 08

He could also look in Device Manager, see if there are any exclamation marks anywhere.

hiwatt 09:53 24 Jan 08

I've tried all the above.It's a strange one this.Why would his main drive be his "D" drive and why would there be no "C" drive showing?Thanks.

hiwatt 09:54 24 Jan 08

No exclamation marks anwhere either.Thanks.

Technotiger 09:59 24 Jan 08

Still assuming it is XP - have you looked at the Drive Properties - is it formatted FAT32 or NTFS?

iscanut 10:00 24 Jan 08

It could be that drive "D" contains the recovery system files, and drive "C" contains the remaining 30Gb or so. The problem is thus why drive "C" is not showing. Have a look at drive "D" and let us know what it contains.

Technotiger 10:01 24 Jan 08

Also 'D' would appear to be a back-up Partition rather than the actual 40Gb drive!

Technotiger 10:02 24 Jan 08

Snap!

UncleP 10:03 24 Jan 08

Have a look in disk management to see if there's any further information eg on unallocated or hidden space on D:, other storage or optical devices etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5