4 year old Evesham desktop freezing

Mike_R 12:29 PM 12 Nov 11

My desktop which was bought in May 1997 and is running under Vista often gets stuck when switching on, with the display looping on the Vista loading bar. I can clear this eventually by continually switching off and on, but is driving me to distraction as it seems to happen (Sods Law) when I want access quickly.

I have thought of installing Windows 7 assuming that the problem is in the OS, but I thnk that it would be better to dump the desktop for a new one. I do not play games and only use the desktop for the WEB, printing photos and Microsoft Works. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement desktop, preferably without the monitor, keypad or speakers?

gengiscant 12:48 PM 12 Nov 11

And your budget is?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:57 PM 12 Nov 11

gets stuck when switching on, with the display looping on the Vista loading bar

That sounds like a driver problem - try updating or reinstalling your drivers in device manager.

Mike_R 13:09 PM 12 Nov 11

Budget around £500. Could go higher but do not wish to get a PC that I will never use to its full potential.

robin_x 13:19 PM 12 Nov 11

Access quickly? Download Ubuntu (burn when your PC is working or another. Try not Install). Just runs from CD/DVD boot.

Allows Firefox browsing and LibreOffice.

Then you can come back here and fix Vista at your pleasure.

john bunyan 17:16 PM 12 Nov 11

I also have a 4 year old Evesham desktop, running well on W 7 64 bit. What is the spec of yours? Maybe a component may need updating - a lot cheaper than a new machine.

Mike_R 20:12 PM 13 Nov 11

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz 1.87Hz

Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB

System type: 32-bit Operating System

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week