3G internet connection

FOEYDO 08:38 16 Feb 07

Hi, I am looking at getting a 3g internet connection so that when I am out and about with my laptop I can access the internet, also as a backup so that if my wireless adsl at home goes down I can still check emails etc...
Are the 3g connections easy to install?
Also how would I go about connecting to the 3g connection when I already have a wireless connection setup, connecting me to two other pcs and the internet in my home with wep security?
Thanks

Aargh 10:36 16 Feb 07

It depends on how you want to connect to '3g' - you would need to install a software modem driver that works through a mobile phone, otherwise the only other way would be via a wifi hotspot, which defeats the point of your question.I'm not aware of a laptop card that allows dial up to 3g.

If your wireless goes down at home, why not just connect the pc to a modem on your broadband line?

Most modern phones will come with a utilities disk which include software to connect a pc via mobile to the internet.

I use the Sony Ericsson W850i. The software allows me to connect the phone to the PC via USB or Bluetooth, then dial up via GPRS or WAP - so there is a data transfer cost to my phone bill.

I cannot use it for 3g (You can't always get 3g coverage anyway).Perhaps someone out there knows a phone that has 3g dial up software for such an application.

The issue with phones is the transfer rate is slower than wifi, so unless you really can't find a 'hotspot' or connect to a line, phones provide a slower & more expensive connection.

FOEYDO 10:41 16 Feb 07

It is a 3g dongle that plugs into a usb

Aargh 10:47 16 Feb 07

Since opening my mouth I've found there are a few on the market

click here

If it is USB, it is a simple case of installing the dongle into a free slot and installing the software. I presume all you then need is a contract for data use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017