3g dongle problem

kimtrnc 15:55 10 Aug 09

I have been sharing my 3g connection, via a 3G router, between 3 machines ( 1 desktop, 2 laptops). When I was using the SIM in the supplied USB dongle,( manufactured by ZTE) it was always problematic - the install process has to be seen to be believed - first it's a modem, then it's not, it's a storage device, etc, etc.! However, it mostly did work, after a fashion.
When we decided to network, the Sim card went into a slot on the router. This worked okay, but very slowly.
I have now gone back to a conventional internet provider, as it is a) much quicker, b) almost always working.
I assumed that I could just replace the SIM card into the dongle, and it would work on one of the laptops as it had in the first place. It won't. Software seems to install, reaches the log-in screen, and never goes any further.
I am wondering whether there is something in the laptop ( which originally had another, similar dongle) which is causing the problem.
Any ideas, please, gurus?

ashleycardwell94 23:31 09 Sep 09

what company is the sim card with and is the routeer branded to a mobile company EG Orange 3 vodaphone?

kimtrnc 05:08 10 Sep 09

Ashley, the SIM card is from Turkcell, in Northern Cyprus, where I live. The router is a standard a dedicated 3g router, with a slot to take the SIM card.
TIA

Ashrich 23:05 14 Sep 09

I would suggest removing any software for internet dongles from the laptop first , there may be something in a previous install that is stopping this latest one .

Another problem I have recently come across when installing one of these ( one by Vodafone ) was having to do a fresh install of Window Installer 3.1 before it would even consider completing .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…