3G datacard/mobile phone modem - decision!

isie1980 16:53 04 Apr 06

Please could someone help advise me?

I am looking to upgrade my mobile phone and also require wireless internet access from my laptop. I have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capability.

I have no landline phone and have discovered that I can connect to the internet via a 3G datacard or by using a mobile phone with 3G/GPRS capability as a modem.

That's about all I know about it so far!

I currently spend £30 on my mobile per month for 200 cross network minutes and 500 texts. I rarely go beyond this. The cost per MB data on this tariff is £3. Compared with the Vodaphone 3G datacard which is approx £30 for 250MB data this seems a bad deal. Many sites are offering the Vodaphone datacard free of charge too.

Does anyone know of any good combined talk/text/data tariffs and what the comparative speeds are of using a mobile as a modem or using the 3G datacard?

I envisage a maximum of 2 hours web surfing a day by this means.

Any help very gratefully received.

ade.h 17:02 04 Apr 06

I have one of the Vodafone cards, though as I only have to use it ocasionally, I have stayed on a PAYG tariff. I can't compare it to the data rate with a mobile phone (no longer bother with one) but it gets up to 384Kbits in 3G areas, which is reasonably usable.

isie1980 08:37 05 Apr 06

Thanks ade.h

I'm just wondering how much 1MB of data is when browsing the web. I guess this depends on individual webpages?
Is there a way I can check the data transfered through my work setup, I am online for 30 mins during my lunchbreak and wondered if it is possible to check a typical amount of data transferred in this time?

I'm thinking that a PAYG tariff may be appropriate for me.

ruskle 20:38 05 Apr 06

I have a Vodafone data card which came free with my Toshiba Centrino laptop and had £20 credit on it. After that it is £2 a Mb and the software provided has a usage meter built in. I think it is a very expensive way to go if you use it as a sole method of accessing the Internet.

I only use mine as and when it is the only way, ie when in hotels without Wi Fi of phone line.

Russell.

isie1980 09:05 06 Apr 06

The Vodafone datacard tariff I have found works out at just under £30 a month for 250MB data transfer (card is free). Beyond this it's £1/MB. I have also been looking at click here and figure by paying £24 a year for their compression data I could certainly stay within my 250MB limit. (I have internet access elsewhere just no landline to connect at home).
I couldn't actually find any PAYG tariffs for the Vodafone card.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…