3D Games keep crashing

Uncle Hamish 00:54 23 Jan 03
  Uncle Hamish 00:54 23 Jan 03

MOBO: ASUS A7V333, BIOS VER 1015, VIA CHIPSET
MEM: 768MB PC2700
GFX: GIGABYTE MAYA II RADEON 9700 PRO
SOUND: AUDIGY PLAYER
PROB: I AM GETTING RANDOM CRASHES, WHILST PLAYING GAMES, EG: UT 2003, IL2 STURMOVIK, LANDWARRIOR, AOM, MEDAL OF HONOUR, COLIN MCRAE 2 ETC. EITHER THE GAME JUST LOCKS UP DURING PLAY, IT CRASHES BACK TO THE DESKTOP, IT TOTALLY RESTARTS, I GET A BLANK BLUE SCREEN, OR A BLUE SCREEN WITH RANDOM "FATAL EXCEPTION ERRORS" MESSAGES.
ITS REALLY DRIVING ME UP THE WALL, I HAVE TRIED GIGABYTE DRIVERS (LATEST 01 DEC 02), ATI REF DRIVERS (CATALYST 3.0 10 JAN 03), DIRECT X 8.1/9, REINSTALLING/UNSTALLING THE VIA DRIVERS AND TRYING OLDER VERSIONS, FREEING UP IRQS, FARTING ABOUT WITH THE BIOS SETTINGS AS ADIVSED BY THE ATI WEBSITE AND TOMS HARDWARE, AND REINSTALLING WINDOWS AND REPEATING ALL OF THE ABOVE.
SO ANY WORDS OF WISDOM WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, OR ELSE IM TAKING MY MACHINE AND DONATING IT TO THE LOCAL LANDFILL SITE, ALONG WITH THE GUY WHO SOLD ME IT

jazzypop 01:05 23 Jan 03

What about the sound card drivers? Have you tried updating them from the Creative website?

P.S. By all means take the vendor to the local landfill, but send the PC to me :)

SafeHaven 01:06 23 Jan 03

What os are you using and what processor?

pc moron 01:44 23 Jan 03

You say you've changed drivers and BIOS settings etc and you still can't run your games.

Try running all the DirectX tests in System Information. If all the tests are okay, try lowering the hardware acceleration for your video card.

Run the games and post back.

MartinT-B 09:38 23 Jan 03

I have EXACTLY the same problem with Morrowind.

You say that you have updated your drivers to Dx 8.1, so your only option is to try the one Bethesda told me to use.

ctrl+alt+del
then close ALL running programs EXCEPT Systray and Explorer. You will have to do them one by one, and some MAY hang before closing

AND I MEAN ALL - anti-virus, sysdoc32 etc etc.

Then try running the games.

Don't forget to restart before you go back on the net to reboot your firewall etc.

Hope that helps

Martin

Uncle Hamish 22:47 05 Feb 03

Thanx jazzypop, martin t-b, pc-moron and safe haven. Sorry i didnt get back sooner, but i bit the bullet and took the pc back to the shop. The guy said he would swap it for another setup. I told him when and he said about a week, i said will call in with the new specs of mobo/processor in 2 days. I called back in and he had already decided to take it upon himself to change it for me. "P4 2.0A GHz/Gigabyte GA-8sr533p p4 sis 645 chipset", not the gigabyte granite bay chipset e7205/P4 2.4B GHz that i told him, still he refunded me 50 quid for the bother. I will remember to steer clear of him in future. thanx again for the help guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now