3D Blaster 4 Ti 4600 drivers won't install - help

Mike574 11:20 20 Aug 03

I am trying to install a Creative 3D Blaster 4 Ti 4600 and each time I go through the new hardware installation wizard at the end it keeps coming up saying " an error occurred during the installation of the device the data is invalid" yet I am using the manufacturers driver disc that was supplied. I've tried removing all the old drivers for my previous card (winfast geforce 2 ti) but I still get the same probs. In the device manager under Other devices - Video Controller is says "the device is not configured correctly (code 1)" and I've also tried the newest drivers off the nvida and guru of 3d to no avail. All i can think now is there is a prob with the graphics card, as i haven't tested it on another pc yet. Does anyone have any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong? My system is Cpu - amd 1800+ XP, asus a7v266-e mobo, 512 mb ram, ^0 gig hdd and os win xp home. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

mark500 12:37 20 Aug 03

This is happening because you have not got permission to install the device.Go to start-Run. Type in regedit. Right click on each folder and go to permissions. You can click on each entr within and then you can set permissions for full access to all.

Mike574 13:19 20 Aug 03

Thanks Mark500, I have just tried that but it still came up with the same error at the end of installation. I also tried installing the drivers in safe mode in the administrators profile with no joy. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mark500 15:07 20 Aug 03

SYMPTOMS
After you upgrade your computer to Windows XP, and you try to install a device (such as a printer), you may receive the following error message:

Cannot install hardware.
An error occurred during the installation of the device.
The Data is invalid.
CAUSE
This issue may occur if the driver that is included with the device is incompatible with Windows XP.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
Rename the Driver.cab file that is in the following folder:
C:\Windows\Driver cache\i386

For example, rename the Driver.cab file as Driver.old.
Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
When the Welcome screen appears, click Perform additional tasks.
Click Browse this CD, and then double-click the I386 folder.
Click the Driver.cab file, and then on the Edit menu, click Copy.
In Windows Explorer, open the following folder:
C:\Windows\Driver cache\I386

On the Edit menu, click Paste to paste the Driver.cab file in the C:\Windows\Driver cache\I386 folder.
Remove the device that you tried to install.

For example, if you received the error when you tried to install a printer, follow these steps to remove the printer:
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Printers and Other Hardware.
Click Printers and Faxes (or the icon representing the type of device that you want to remove).
Click the printer that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
-or-

Use Device Manager to remove the device. For example, if you received the error when you tried to install a modem, follow these steps to remove the modem:
Click Start, right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.
Expand Modems, select your modem, and then press DELETE. Click Yes to confirm.
Restart the computer. Your new device should be detected and automatically installed.

rickf 16:57 20 Aug 03

Perhaps the answer could be something simpler. If you have anti-virus software, dsiable it first before installing the drivers. If haven't already try it.

Mike574 11:56 28 Aug 03

Thanks to everyone who helped. The problem is now sorted out. I had a new hard drive on order so when i istalled a new copy of XP and then installed the graphics card drivers they were fine then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…