3com Router - Idle Time

Border View 14:19 16 Dec 06

I have a 3 com Office Connect ADSL Wireless 54mbps 11g Firewall Router.

I migrated from Pipex earlier this week. With them I had a fixed 1mb download speed. My new ISP is Zen and I went for the 8000 Lite package. It would appear that this package comes under the ADSL Max system.

Because my connection has being dropping out I am advised that BT have cut my speed back to a stable 512kb. I had six months (until the last month) of stable connection with Pipex at 1mb. Should explain that for the four weeks before I migrated I was getting dropped connections/no connections and speeds down to 56kbp. That was the reason for my migration.

A very helpful chap at Zen looked at my connection record and said the I was being disconnected at strange times. Did I switch the router off? No, never. He then suggested that it may be the idle time on my router disconnecting me, thus making BT think I had an unstable connection and pinning me back to 512.

I've been into the settings for my router and the Idle Time (Minutes) was set at 20. I have now increased this to 120.

My questions are:

- Is there a recommended length for Idle Time

- I've set Outlook Express to check for e-mails every five minutes - will this help

- Does this mean to set a steady flow from the exchange I have to leave my laptop connected to the internet 24/7

Zen advise that they cannot put a report into BT until the 10 day stablization period is complete.

Would welcome your comments.

TOPCAT® 15:22 16 Dec 06

Not familiar with these router setups but what I have found is many users have their idle time set at zero minutes. This link is rather dated but it may be helpful in some respects - see Chris B's post. Good luck! TC.

click here

raeman 15:33 16 Dec 06

The idle time is usually set at zero minutes on this router,i've had this one for about a year and had some connection dropouts initially but this was due to the router firmware.

Border View 15:58 16 Dec 06

Many thanks for that TOPCAT and raeman. Just the answer I was looking for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…