3com 3CRWDR100A-72 wireless router

Miss Happy 23:44 19 Jun 06

I am new to b/b and have a speedtouch 330 usb (+ their set-up software on laptop), modem supplied by NTLFreedom B/B via BT line.

I want to go wireless on laptop with IEEE 802.11.b/g, but desktop only has internal dial-up modem (I think!).

Is this 3com 3CRWDR100A-72 wireless router a good ADSL wireless option and is there a 108mbps version,please? I read woodchips answer to someone and he had the 3com model in 2005...is it still ok, woodchip?

ade.h 23:55 19 Jun 06

My neighbour is very happy with the 100A that I installed for him recently, but I was surprised at Woodchip's "£70" comment; he must have bought it a while ago because it's about £45 including a USB adapter (something that I would not normally recommend, but this example works quite satisfactorily) from Ebuyer. The link is on my other PC, so you'll have to search the Ebuyer site if you are interested. It is a quality router and is easily comparable to my usual choices, despite being cheaper. Typical 3Com, basically.

ade.h 23:56 19 Jun 06

Oh, and as usual; *do not* use the USB adpter software.

ade.h 00:00 20 Jun 06

With a bit of hunting.... click here

Also, if a PCMCIA card would be preferable.... click here, although that is out of stock for now.

Miss Happy 00:04 20 Jun 06

Thanks for your advice ade.h, woodchip bought his around a year ago, hence the price.

I use ebuyer quite often so will go and search there, thanks again ade.h.

Miss Happy 00:09 20 Jun 06

Thanks for link, looks good!

I will look at the pcmcia (is that for the desktop - sorry for being so dim, it's getting dark here and the lights are about to go out!), after I have tried the USB adapter, if it's ok i'll stick with it.

Miss Happy 00:16 20 Jun 06

Any idea what the:
click here

one is,it's slightly more expensive?

I am lost with b/b & networking/ wireless.

Thanks for your help.

Strawballs 00:22 20 Jun 06

pcmcia cards are for laptops unless you have a pci adapter in your desk top

Miss Happy 00:31 20 Jun 06

I have everything in the laptop to go 'wireless'(other than router/b/b modem), but I am not sure what I need in desktop tho it has all the modern connections - other than the wifi bit, it has a dial-up modem only(no IEEE 802.11b/g). It has spare pcm something slot/s at rear of cpu - I think I either have to put a thing in that or yse a USB adapter? I havent a clue and we live 30 miles plus from nearest pc outlet.
I will look up all infoon PC tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

ade.h 14:02 20 Jun 06

At the rear of the CPU?? Lost me there! That's your processor.

You should ideally have at least one client hard-wired to the router - unless you need to place the router a long way from each client. To be honest, although having one wired client can be very advantageous from a configuration (see below) and reliability standpoint, the router's position must ultimately take precedence: the position of wireless router is critical to its effectiveness.

Wireless desktop: if you want to do this you can either use a USB adapter or a PCI wireless card. The latter is preferable, particularly if the desktop is pushed against a wall or in a corner.

Addendum: First-time config and subsequent adjustment of any wireless-related settings *must* be performed over a wired interface, with very rare exceptions. This rule applies to all *conventional* routers (Voyagers not included). Trust me when I say how easy it is to crash a router if you try to fiddle with any settings that is remotely related to the wireless link while accessing the router's config over said wireless link!

Miss Happy 17:44 20 Jun 06

There are 2x slots in back of CPU box/casing/housing. One at least should be free.

For the time being the USB adapter will have to do, if I then take the PCI option in the future hope it will not conflict with the 3Com ADSL wireless router modem.

My reply to ade.h was lost when I pressed ' post response' earlier, around 16:55 today. It was a bit more detailed.

It was late last night when I 'hijacked' someone elses posting, sorry it was a miss take!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…