386 Computer - Upgrade Windows O.S. ?

zootboy 12:21 04 Jun 03

I have an old 386 computer on which just accounts are kept, Windows 3.11

In order to upgrade the accounts software, the O.S. would need to be upgraded as well.

Question 1. Would W98 SE run OK on a 386 ?

Question 2. Is it feasable to copy the W98 O.S. on to a series of floppy disks from another computer, and then install on the 386 ?

Regards

Zootboy

keith-236785 13:02 04 Jun 03

depends on which processor it has and how much memory/hard drive space etc
i think win 98 requires a minimum of 16mb ram
as for the windows, i think you will either have to install a cd in the machine or buy win98 on floppies (23 as i recall) or was that for win95.

as far as i know you cannot just break down the cd into floppies because the files are packed in CAB files which are too big for floppies, there may be a way but it would mean unpacking all the cab files and the copying them onto floppies. Someone will know but not me, sorry

good luck

Pesala 20:17 04 Jun 03

If money is tight, buy a secondhand system unit PIII or similar to use for your accounts.

If you stop and work out how long it will take to upgrade such an old PC, it just doesn't make economic sense.

Pesala 20:17 04 Jun 03

If money is tight, buy a secondhand system unit PIII or similar to use for your accounts.

If you stop and work out how long it will take to upgrade such an old PC, it just doesn't make economic sense.

greenlamp 22:08 04 Jun 03

I suspect that the likliehood of being able to run win98 on a 386 processor is virtually non-existent as is the possibility of being able to upgrade it. win95 required at least a 486 system to be able to run at a slow snails pace. You should be able to pick up at least a PII 266 system box for under £50 secondhand and I would think this is your most sensible and cost effective option.

Pauper 22:12 04 Jun 03

zootboy, I had an old 486 on which win 98 refused to load on the basis that the processor was too slow, so a 386 will almost definitely be out unless someone can find a workaround, but I have to say I am with the others - try to find a cheap second hand system and transfer all you data to that or run the existing hard drive as a slave in the new system.

keith-236785 13:16 06 Jun 03

if your 286 is working and does what you want it to do , then why change......if it aint broken dont fix it.........

ps i have installed win95 on a 486 25mhz proc

8mb ram

so it can be done

you may have to wait a week for it to boot but it will work.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…