£360 Repair?

BRFCIDB 20:14 12 Oct 06

I have a HP Media Center thats 2 years old, it keeps hanging every 6-8 hours. I have taken it into 2 local computers stores, one charged me £30 but didn't manage to repair it. They swapped all parts except the Motherboard. The second shop said they found a faulty BIOS reading and it may be the motherboard. However it's exclusive to HP. I have looked on HP wedsite and their local authorised repair center is in Leed.They said it's £165 call out and £55 for each half an hour, plus parts. This would mean if it is the motherboard (£120) it would cost me £360. This seems a lot and although the unit is high spec and cost £800 2 years ago, I could buy this spec for £450 now. Any advise on how I could get it done cheaper?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:26 12 Oct 06

Ideas
FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

1. Works for 6 to 8 hours before hanging may mean over heating.

2. Psu could be struggling any idea what size PSU (wattage)

The second shop said they found a faulty BIOS reading and it may be the motherboard.

Any idea what this reading is?

set the BIOS to default settings.

You could always flash the BIOS as a last resort.

Miros 20:27 12 Oct 06

£360 for an 'old' machine or £450 for a new one with warrantees? That's easy go for the new one if you can't do repairs yourself. Your only talking about a difference of £90 and you could still have hassle.

Totally-braindead 20:34 12 Oct 06

At this sort of price for repairs it would really be more economical to buy a barebones system swap over your hard drive optical drives etc and use your existing keyboard, monitor etc. You would have to buy an OEM or full copy of Windows as the HP one wouldn't transfer over.

I would try the suggestions by Fruit Bat first and any others that are suggested but in the end if you don't get it fixed either buy a completely new system or a barebones pack and rob the useable bits of your old PC to cut costs.

BRFCIDB 20:47 12 Oct 06

Fruitbat

Thanks very much for the advise, it really helps.

The BIOS reading was done on PC-DOCTOR on the report it says "Write/Read failed at address 3HF: wrote 08H, read 10H. Don't know if this is any use?

1 Fans all clear, no dust inside machine.
2 Shop "says" they changed the PSU!
4 Shop did memory test all ok
5 Done system restore

What I know about computers you could write on a stamp!! soory for the ignorance
Although I did a restore, could it be a fault on the "pre-loaded software, both shops ruled this out.

Thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:09 12 Oct 06

Failing to write to CMOS RAM click here

Normally sounds like a low battery

sounds silly on a 2 year old PC but do you uplug PC when not using?

try renewing CMOS battery
CMOS Battery
click here
very easy to do and don't pay more than £2.99 for one. Boots etc. sell them. You have nothing to lose except £2.99 :0)

BRFCIDB 21:34 12 Oct 06

Fruit Bat

Thanks agian for the advise. I will get a bat in the morning. I have been looking on the HP website and it says that using PC DOCTOR will tell you what hardware is faulty including parts on motherboard?

Sounds to good to be true?

Thanks

Ian

johnnyrocker 23:41 12 Oct 06

then it probably is.

johnny.

terryf 00:08 13 Oct 06

click here for less expensive batteries

sean-278262 01:04 13 Oct 06

Just ebay what you ahve at the moment and buy a new one. The processor would fetch about £30 the ram another £30 thats before you sell the drives and other parts. It makes economic sense to just get a new one. This is the wonder of big business. They make you buy new that way it drums up sales. Have a HP buy another. Some people are very silly when it comes to buying things and will stick with what they know rather than buying what is best. Go get a new one in my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…