35mm slides to PC?

Legolas 23:04 22 Mar 03

My Father has a load of 35mm slides taken when the family was young, he asked me tonight if it was possible to put them onto video tape. What I was wondering is it possible to put them onto my computer and from there onto cd and then view them on the PC or TV.

Switcher 23:28 22 Mar 03

Yes. I use an Epson perfection photo 1240u scanner.

It comes with an adaptor to allow light to shine down through negatives and slides.

I used it for exactly the same purpose as you are suggesting. Because of the small size of your original scan with a high resolution so that when you enlarge the photo it will still have a decent resolution.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:29 22 Mar 03

a scanner with slide facilities. There are quite a few with this option.

Tenner 23:30 22 Mar 03

What type of scanner do you have ?

I stand to be corrected here, but the first thing is a scanner with light 'hood'

Start with the link given in my answer in Teasle's thread above - Scanning Sepia prints.- it might help for starters

Regards

bfoc 23:52 22 Mar 03

But the earlier 1200 photo, for scanning slides and it works pretty well. The resolution you would get from it is absolutely fine for displaying on the computer screen, or if you have the right connections, on a TV.

Dabsexchange has some Epson 1240U scanners available at the moment click here.

If you already have a flatbed scanner, essentially, the difference between 'normal' scanning and scanning slides is that you need a light source which shines light through the slides from above, so that the sensore within the scanner can pick it up. I do believe it is possible to buy, or make, a simple attachment which does this but I, being totally hamfisted, can't help you with it!

ton 00:14 23 Mar 03

Instructions on how to make a 'hood' that works in the same way as bought ones. Here click here

Legolas 00:42 23 Mar 03

Thanks all for the info I will look into the links tomorrow, I am off to bed..zzzzzzzzzzzzz

pj123 18:29 23 Mar 03

If you don't want to go to the trouble of buying new scanners go to click here they will put slides onto CD for 13p each slide.

Legolas 19:55 23 Mar 03

pj123 thanks for the link I will certainly consider that option, although I could,nt see any prices.

G&T 19:56 23 Mar 03

I suggest you consider buying a slide scanner. I went through the flatbed/adaptor route and I think you will be disappointed when you show them on TV. You need to get a high resolution scan initially so that you suffer less from the relatively poor TV resolution. I picked up a Microtek FilmScan 35 about a year ago for just under £100 from QVC and the results are stunning!

-pops- 20:26 23 Mar 03

I have borrowed one of the scanners suggested by G&T. The results, as said, are excellent. Far better than can be obtained with a flatbed and light hood.

If there are lots of slides to scan I would strongly recommend a dedicated slide scanner.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…