35mm Slide Scanning

johnoo 11:36 22 Jun 09

I have just commenced scanning some old slides using a Epson v300 scanner.
I have used a setting which gives an output size of 1800 x 1200 Pixels with each scan being about 380Kb.
Two questions, I think!:-
1 What is the relationship between the Pixels and the KB figure?
2 Do you think this setting is good enough to give goodish reproduction when showing on a 16 x 9 televion that is about 3 years old? TV is HD ready so I suppose the pictures show in HD, or is that kind of stupid?

johndrew 12:43 22 Jun 09

I probably am not giving you a full answer, but when I scan my 35mm transparencies I use a setting of 800 dpi and a 6"x4" output. This gives an output of around 4800 x 3800 which shows well enough on my TV and monitor.

As far as size (KB) is concerned, the greater the dimensions and quality the more memory you will take up. My pictures are generally around the 2.5 MB mark for the settings I use, but if I enhance the quality this rises quite steeply.

Quiet Life 13:29 22 Jun 09

I used an Epson v200 at a resolution of 300 ppp giving 1800x1200 and the size was about 1.25 MB.
The greater the resolution the bigger the file size. One of the problems is an old style TV monitor is 4/3 a 35mm slide is about 4/3.5 and the TV 16/9 so you either get black bands if viewed correctly or stretched distorted pictures.
My TV is 1368/768 (non full high definition)and even reducing the file size considerably (by reducing the quality in Adobe Elements) the scanned photos look very good on the TV and it was a blessing not to have to get the projector out to have to show them.
I use an Iomega muti media drive attached to the TV by composite connection or a DVD player which has a USB conector for a flash drive connected to the HDMI on the TV. There is no visible difference on either method-

johnoo 13:58 22 Jun 09

Thank you both, most interesting.
I have just checked my TV spec. and found that it is as "Quiet Life" 1368 x 768.
Therfore am I correct in saying that any scan above this would not be worth while? ie my scan of 1800 x 1200 is above the spec of the TV hence OK
But most interested in Quiet life comment as to file size.
I can't see on my Epson version how this can be changed.
I used full auto mode to do the scans, but can't see any file size setting in the pro mode, could anybody tell me if I am wrong.
Also Quiet Life, do you know what you reduced the file size to from your 1.25Mb figure?

Quiet Life 15:18 22 Jun 09

I would have thought that the software was the same. Selecting professional mode comes up with menu page where you can enter Doc. type as "Film"
Film type "Positive Film" 24bit colour resolution and so on.
Home mode gives you similar choices.
The auto mode gives you choices as well.
I do not know how you achieved only 380kb unless you selected very low resolution.
A transparency at 1800 1200 34bit 300 resolution in auto mode was 1.42 mb. Reducing the quality in Adobe Elements it was reduced to 205kb.
On the computer or tV there is no apparent variation in quality in these two images.

jack 15:33 22 Jun 09

is that HD ready notwithstanding- TV's are very low resolution compared with computer out put- so scan away the TV will cope very well

Stuartli 15:43 22 Jun 09

Even HD TV sets are comparatively low resolution compared to a monitor and decent graphics card.

I have a 21in CRT Belinea monitor used at 1152x864 resolution - the display using my Freeview PCI TV card is pin sharp and superior to that of my 26in LCD TV.

I can normally read the newspaper front page stories featured nightly in the Press Preview programmes on BBC News and Sky News.

That's without using the TV card in high definition mode which is not, as yet, available on DTB.

It was only until quite recently that one major on-line retailer used to advertise LCD and plasma TVs as having 1MB or more resolution.

Stuartli 15:47 22 Jun 09

The point I was intending to make was that even low resolution shots from, say, a webcam can still appear to be good quality viewed on a monitor or TV used as a monitor.

My younger offspring's digital photographs (.jpeg files) certainly don't suffer visually, for instance, from being wirelessly transmitted to a 37in Panasonic plasma TV from his computer system.

johnoo 15:57 22 Jun 09

When I did the scans I used Auto mode with a setting of 300DPI, the output was 1800 x 1200 Pixels with a file size of 380KB.
As slides have a physical size of 1.35" x0.9" the DPI is 1333.
I take the point that this will be ok to show on a TV.
But:- What does the original 300DPI setting refer to?

woodchip 16:16 22 Jun 09

The Higher the Pixel the bigger the file

johnoo 11:32 23 Jun 09

Thanks for all the help/comments, think I understand it a little more now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5