3.5 HDD External Case

Ozy 12:13 18 Jul 08

connected it up, found new hardware comes on,
your device is ready to use, but it isn't,
in Computer. i right click go to management/disk management,
Disk2 unknown
right click,initialise disk, i right click
initalise disk, box says you must initialise disk before disk management can access it,
disk 2 is already ticked,and below
MBR
GPT
click either, box says, The Device is not Ready.
Using Vista HP

Batch 13:06 18 Jul 08

Have you put an HDD of your own in an empty caddy? If so, have you tried changing the jumper settings on the drive? Often these need to be changed to Slave or Cable Select to get these drives to work.

Shouldn't be a problem if you've bought a complete external HDD drive (as you'd expect that the manufacturer would set it up right in the first place).

Diemmess 14:12 18 Jul 08

Have you formatted the new HD yet?

Pamy 14:19 18 Jul 08

Ps, it should be set to master if it's an IDE .If it's SATA you may nead driver for it

Ozy 17:37 18 Jul 08

i dont even know how to open the caddy,
there was not any instructions in the box.
it has a power cable, a usb A M to A M cable,
a power switch, that when turned on,the computer
makes the familier noise on inserting usb,
but nothing shows in "Computer"

Pamy 17:40 18 Jul 08

you nead to establish if the drive inside the caddy is IDE or SAta

anton61 08:56 26 Aug 08

I had the same problem with a HD initialized under XP. After I deleted the partition on a computer running XP, I could initialize the HD in Vista.

Jak_1 11:43 26 Aug 08

After reading through the replys I have to ask, 'Is it really an internal hdd in a caddy or a purpose built external drive? I have not heard of a caddy (enclosure box) for sale complete with hdd installed! The very nature of a caddy (enclosure box) is so that you can choose and change drives at will and they invariably should have the jumper set to 'master'.
An external drive fixed in it's purpose designed container usually comes with an instalation CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5