32 or 64-bit windows

fazer 19:03 12 Jan 09

I'm so confused ......!

Have over the past several weeks decided to get a new computer custom-built and have decided to have 8gb RAM fitted.

Now I do understand that you need a 64-bit operating system to recognise/utilise this much RAM and following an e-mail enquiry to Arbico to asceratin whether they supply this much memory and supply the appropriate OS on their custom-builds, they have replied stating and I quote "In the last two years all of our customers who have decided to go with 64 bit Windows have had extensive problems which have been resolved as soon as they converted to the 32 bit version of the operating system."

So what am I to do guys? Is 64-bit really so problematic as far as software compatability is concerned? And is there any difference between XP and Vista 64-bit?

I should say that most of my more precious (read expensive) software is Adobe Photoshop and lightroom and various other photo-editing suites and it would be pretty devastating if I had problems with these after upgrading my computer.

Thanks in anticipation.

citadel 19:33 12 Jan 09

I installed vista 64 bit and on my new pc, it has not been any trouble. you just get 64 bit version compatable stuff you install, there has been nothing that has not had a 64 bit version I have wanted.

GaT7 00:00 13 Jan 09

"I should say that most of my more precious (read expensive) software is Adobe Photoshop and lightroom and various other photo-editing suites and it would be pretty devastating if I had problems with these after upgrading my computer." - best to visit forums/blogs associated with those programs to determine their compatibility with 64-bit OSes. An example click here.

Some older hardware/peripherals may not work due to lack of driver support. G

Ex plorer 01:05 13 Jan 09

I think you will have driver issues, if you go 64 Bit as all drivers you have now will be for 32Bit.

MarvintheAndroid 02:23 13 Jan 09

Just wondering why you think you need 8 gigs of ram ?

Marv

fazer 18:08 13 Jan 09

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Ex plorer
Am not expecting any driver issues as its a new build and have been assured likewise.

Crossbow7
Will need to read your referral several times for it to sink in. There's a lot of information there.

MarvintheAndroid
I think (or thought) I need that much RAM for the following reasons:

1. I only buy a computer every decade or so and even then only after all possible upgrades have been performed - so I'm thinking of getting the "best" that I can afford to last the next decade
2. I process large TIFF files and Photoshop et al struggles (read "turn-everything-else-off-to-function") so in addition to a faster processor, more RAM the better? (I've got 2gb at the moment).

Thanks again guys. I always heed whats written on this forum and have learned a lot over the years. So if anyone thinks I'm approaching this issue from the wrong angle or if my "assumptions" are naive/ignorant please let me know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced