32 bit processor software on a 64bit

1936 10:24 AM 23 May 11

I have just bought a Dell Laptop and it was only when I started to use the Word Starter software that I realised that it would permanently have pop ups running with it. I resent this sort of marketing and would have preferred not to have had any pre-installed software but its part of the Dell connection with other companies that this happens. I have two questions: 1. Will the Word software on my redundant computer which has the wonderful XP software and a 32 bit processor run on the new computer which has windos7 and a 64 bit processor? 2. If I have to buy new Word software where is the most cost effective place to legally shop?

mgmcc 10:41 AM 23 May 11

32-bit programs will run fine in a 64-bit PC; they are in a separate folder.

[64-bit programs] C:\Program Files\

[32-bit programs] C:\Program Files (x86)\

It is with peripherals such as Printers, Scanners etc where 64-bit specific drivers are usually required.

If you need a new copy of Word, Office 2010 Home & Student is an option.

pk46 11:09 AM 23 May 11

As has been said software on older printers and scanners that cause problems my Canon printer won't run on 64BIT but it's 8 years old but will on Windows 7 32BIT my other Canon printer does have a 64BIT driver i downloaded but it has limited use.Some Adobe software won't work on 64Bit. Whem you see 4GB of RAM on the computer spec it's a 64BIT system as a 32BIT system can not see over 3GB.

1936 11:32 AM 23 May 11

Many thanks, it's the Word software I was worried about because although my Samsung ML6040 printer is a solid machine it is getting on and printers are fairly cheap these days so many thanks all.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites