304 KEYBOARD OR SYSTEM UNIT ERROR

Hangus 20:27 15 Nov 03

I have an old pc with windows 95 on it. When I start it up i get an error message "304 KEYBOARD OR SYSTEM UNIT ERROR". I get the option of pressing F1 TO RESUME OR F10 for setup. neither works. Can anyone suggest anything? Does it mean my hardware has a problem, or is it the system software? I do not have a system disk so I cannot reinstall windows95. Maybe I should just give up and invest in a new one.

Diodorus Siculus 20:40 15 Nov 03

Check that the mouse/keyboard are correctly plugged in- that might be the source of the problem.

R4 20:54 15 Nov 03

Maybe F1 or F10 don't work because your system is not seeing the keyboard, Try another one if you can.

DieSse 20:58 15 Nov 03

I've had very old PCs before where the rechargeable CMOS battery (different from modern systems) - which was often close to the keyboard input connector - leaked and rotted the tracks around the keyboard connector - renedering the keyboard input, and thus the motherboard - useless.

Hangus 21:43 15 Nov 03

I tried another keyboard and that did not work. I have not tried another mouse, but I checked all the connections and they seemed ok. i think Diesse might be right. I guess the only way to check is to open it up?

oglemire 22:37 15 Nov 03

when you checked the connections did you check that the mouse and the keyboard was plugged into the correct port... if they are both PS2 and they are connected back to front you will get the scenario you have described.

Hangus 18:12 17 Nov 03

Nothing obvious but it is now in the bin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…