£30 laptop set-up worth doing?

james300 13:12 26 Jan 11

Hi, all. I bought a new Sony laptop from Debenhams today and when they called me to confirm they offered me this:

click here

Worth doing? Thanks :)

James

woodchip 13:32 26 Jan 11

If you know nothing about PC's it may be, but for some one that does its money wasted

woodchip 13:33 26 Jan 11

To me its just another way of making more money, but as I said its your choice

gengiscant 13:37 26 Jan 11

Its a no for me also. If any of the things covered by the £30 check don't work,Debanhams are obliged to retify them anyway.

birdface 13:40 26 Jan 11

Same as woodchip.
If you know anything about computers you can do all that yourself.
If you don't mind parting with £30 it saves you from doing it yourself.

Whatever I buy I always like to get it with the box sealed that way you know that you are not getting a display model and nobody has tampered with it.

GaT7 13:48 26 Jan 11

If you need help in checking any of those things, we can tell you how to do it for free.

Most of it anyway. E.g. the Bluetooth check would ideally involve an external Bluetooth device that you may not have. G

james300 14:04 26 Jan 11

Thanks, guys. A girl called me this morning and I said I'd call back once I'd decided, but turns out they already dispatched, so a mute point. I called them this afternoon to ask if I'd get a refund from Debenhams themselves if there were dead pixels, and they said they share the same rule as Sony, it has to be five dead pixels or more. You can't return if the laptop is removed from the packaging, so now I'm faced with the decision of should I return it and pay them to do the check, rather than risk there being a problem. Any thoughts?

GaT7 14:15 26 Jan 11

Well, for peace of mind, especially regarding dead pixels, I think you should do it.

But I wonder why they sent it despite you telling them to hang on. Did you make them wait for long?

Returning it & having it re-delivered (all at your expense?) could work out more expense than it's worth.

If you don't have to spend anything to simply return it to them unopened (i.e. they pick it up under the 7-14 day rule?), then perhaps you should get your refund & start afresh, this time making sure to choose their laptop setup option during checkout. G

james300 15:20 26 Jan 11

Well, for peace of mind, especially regarding dead pixels, I think you should do it.

But I wonder why they sent it despite you telling them to hang on. Did you make them wait for long?

Returning it & having it re-delivered (all at your expense?) could work out more expense than it's worth.

If you don't have to spend anything to simply return it to them unopened (i.e. they pick it up under the 7-14 day rule?), then perhaps you should get your refund & start afresh, this time making sure to choose their laptop setup option during checkout. G

I told the girl I'd ring her back in ten minutes, which I did, only to be greeted by her voicemail. I then got an email telling me it'd been dispatched, so I guess my ten minutes was up! I estimate it'll cost around £10-15 to return it. They also insist on it being returned in 'plain outer packaging' which'll also be in a pain the ass. The laptop isn't overly cheap: click here but then I suppose dead pixels isn't really a price issue? Is there really a high risk of dead pixels, d'ya think, anyone?

james300 15:28 26 Jan 11

Additional thing is I actually called the girl on her voicemail and left a message saying I did want the laptop check. This was about thirty minutes of our initial chat, thirty minutes spent listening to her voicemail. Wondering if perhaps I could use this as a defense? What a friggin' pain!

GaT7 15:34 26 Jan 11

Is that £10-15 to return it even if you don't want it at all?

Are they saying that you need to send it back unopened in 'plain outer packaging'? I think that may be to differentiate between the packages that are being delivered & those that are being returned. You could buy some brown paper & wrap the box in a few layers of that.

Of all the TFT monitors & laptops that I and a few friends have purchased over the last few years, not a single one has had even a single dead/stuck/permanently lit pixel. But then again, perhaps we have been fortunate.

I agree with what woodchip says about it being just another way of making more money, because isn't it the manufacturer's obligation & duty to have carried out all those checks at the Sony factory? And for no extra cost? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…