3 hdd on one ide channel?

Air_Man 19:27 24 Jun 05

I have just got myself a new hard drive and was about to throw away the smallest 20gb HDD, then wondered if it is possible to have 3 hard drives. I currently have 2 ide channels, 1 supports a DVD re-writer and CD-RW, the other is used for 2 HDDs. Could I simply get a IDE cable wih 3 connectors, or would I need some sort of IDE controller card.

Any thoughts?

Thx

De Marcus 19:31 24 Jun 05

Impossible, buy a pci ide expansion card.

Dorsai 19:35 24 Jun 05

As far as I know, NO.

IDE channels only support a maximum of two devices.

The hardware on the Motherboard is not designed for any more, nor the cable, nor the drives.

Like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Sorry. :-(

De Marcus 19:39 24 Jun 05

The easiest way is to fit a pci ide card, however if your struggling for space an external hard drive may be of more benefit. Caddys are ten a penny today and you should be able to pick one up for less than £20. If you've got space but no spare power connectors, you can buy a power splitter (effectively gives you two power connectors from one) for about 50 pence.

Whatever the case, you can't add more than 2 devices to one ide channel.

Air_Man 08:44 25 Jun 05

Thx all. I am really just trying to save waste and put to good use, a perfectly decent 20Gb HDD.

I'll checkout a PCI IDE card as I have plenty of space inside the case, but very little outside.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…