"3" dongle set up/ installation help

worcesterman47 09:45 16 Aug 09

hi, my daughter has used the 3 network dongle for the last 12/14 months with no problems..but the last day or so it just will not connect to the net...now, i have quite abit of experience with desktop & laptop pc's but absolutely no knowledge of dongles, can anyone help me as i need to find out the following...
1, would the dongle be plug & play ? ( win xp o/s)
2, should/does the dongle need an installation disk ?
3, if answer to question 1 is yes...then should the dongle automatically set itself up ?

she has used the dongle on her own pc ( of course)which now does not work...i lent her my laptop to try it on there..nothing came up on screen to show any kind of connections, i know have asked her to bring the dongle to me so as i can play around with it on my desktop...she cannot remember if she had any installation disks with it when bought..so, thats why i need to know what to do to see if it works on my pc...of course i guess the dongle could be faulty now...so any help/advice/suggestions would really be greatly appreciated...many thanks in advance

birdface 09:59 16 Aug 09

Not knowing a lot about dongles.Would it not have come with a CD with the drivers on it.I bought one about 3 weeks ago and it came with a CD.I have never used it yet so cannot comment on other dongles.

birdface 10:04 16 Aug 09

Maybe something to look at and see if it helps in any way.

click here

norman47 10:12 16 Aug 09

are on the dongle.

worcesterman47 11:12 16 Aug 09

hi again...just read the link you posted...but i do not think those problems apply...as my daughter has been using the dongle with no probs until recently...so, i guess i am back to the questions above...particularly if the drivers are on the dongle itself or if she would have had a disk originally to install dongle ( or even is it possible to download new drivers if they exist in case the current ones have become corrupt in some way )..once again any help/advice greatly appreciated

norman47 11:25 16 Aug 09

He HAD a 3 dongle.

He confirms the drivers were on the dongle.

worcesterman47 11:49 16 Aug 09

norman, thanks for that...only thing now then is if the dongle is NOT being recognised on my daughters desktop...or the laptop i loaned her to try it...then it is probably the dongle that is at fault somehow....now, does anyone know if it is possible to download new drivers for it...as i would guess that that is now the problem ? or will it be a case of buying a new dongle ? once again all help/advice greatly appreciated

Jak_1 11:52 16 Aug 09

All the software required is in the dongle, no cd requiresd as it is plug & play. Your daughter could try removing all the software from her pc first and see if the dongle will re-establish it'self afterwards though if it has not worked on your lappy then there may be either a fault with the dongle or a local server problem on the network.

sunnystaines 11:55 16 Aug 09

is the problem at the other end with the net provider.

worcesterman47 11:59 16 Aug 09

hi, do not think it is a server prob...been going on to long for that i reckon...i think now like you it is a dongle fault..as it wont work on the laptop either...i have asked her to bring it to my home & i will ( just for good measure) try it on my desktop..if that fails then it must be a faulty dongle,,but thanks for confirming it is plug & play & no disc required because as i said before i have NO knowledge of dongles :)but any more help or sugestions are greatly appreciated

mimosa418 14:43 16 Aug 09

I have had a three dongle for 18 months and what you have described has happened a couple of times.
I have found that the Three network will not connect at weekends since they apparently do maintenance and upgrades. Each time this ghas happened i have experienced improved performance. You need to check with Three to confirm thiswhich means phoning the help line and insisting that you speak to a supervisor.
To answer your original question: the dongle is plug and play and should install as soon as you insert it in to the USB. Al software is on the dongle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced