3 1/2 floppy-do i need it?

mad1234 07:09 08 Sep 07

hey guys i have an older pc which has a broken floppy drive in it. if i take the floppy drive out i get an error on boot up.
i have noticed that new pc's don't have a floppy drive unless you ask for one.
so is there a way to set the bios or something to make it boot without a floppy?

Sheik Yerbouti 07:14 08 Sep 07

Yes you can change the boot order in BIOS. Make the new order C then D providing you only have 1 HDD, and see if you can disable the 3rd option, or just put A 3rd. All BIOS's are different in the way they handle this.

€dstowe 07:24 08 Sep 07

For the very few quid that a floppy drive costs, I would replace it - especially on an older machine.

mad1234 07:29 08 Sep 07

Sheik Yerbouti, €dstowe thanks for your rapid responses.
€dstowe its not the money its the convienience of getting to a shop to buy one. i will try Sheik Yerbouti's idea & failing that i will have to find the time to go get a new one.

thanks again guys

€dstowe 07:48 08 Sep 07

You can buy them on-line - probably for no greater cost, including carriage, than your retail shop.

mad1234 07:49 08 Sep 07

set ist boot to hdd-0
2nd boot to cd rom
3rd boot to disabled
booted the pc & got error message
floppy disk(s) error (40)
so it looks like a new floppy is in order

Diemmess 08:38 08 Sep 07

Like €dstowe, I'd be reluctant to do without a Floppy drive.

If you must, have you looked in the BIOS for a toggle to disable/enable FDD?

mad1234 08:57 08 Sep 07

found it it's called "boot up floppy seek" & i set it to disabled. i think i will still replace the floppy drive after your advice but this will get the pc working for now

thanks for all your advice - don't know what i'd do without you guys sometimes:)

Taff™ 09:27 08 Sep 07

Drop me a Personal Message using the yellow envelope and I`ll send you a floppy disk drive. I`ve got several from old machines lying about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…