3-in-1 - startup, shut down & display settings

Dazed&Confused 23:13 31 May 03

My PC recently would only start-up in safe mode after working perfectly well before rebooting. My sons had installed some games software from cd-rom and also some they had downloaded from the internet (despite frequent requests from me not to do it!). I managed to go into setup and do "scanreg/restore" and start up in normal mode - however now everytime I boot the pc the setup screen with the 6 choices (normal, logged, safe mode etc) comes up. Also when I click shut down the pc restarts.

The other problem that has arisen is I cannot change my display settings to 800 x 600. The "extend this to my windows desktop" box is ticked but greyed out and even though I've 'applied' the settings and rebooted they still remain the same. I've tried reinstalling windows 98SE and also all the stuff from my backup cd-rom that came with the new motherboard I had fitted last year. All is ok except the display settings system tray icon won't appear nor can I run it from program files.

Sorry if that's a bit longwinded but it's the only way I can describe it.

I'd be grateful for any help, if only to save my eyesight and stop the boys moaning! Thanks

jospar 01:11 01 Jun 03

when you say you've tried reinstalling win98, I assume that you mean, that yu've done this without reformating the drive. when distater befalls me, and plonging the cd in the drive and runing it doesn't inprove matters then I reformat and start all over again, if noone comes up with a better idea, then prehaps try this! Sadley it means reloading everything, as you be starting from scratch.

as for the boys, I found out from my children it doesn't matter how many times you tell them, I always find that something has been installed, apart from tieing them to a chair at least 50ft away from the computer I really don't know the answer?

I hope that someone might be able to help you more, but at least it put it back to the top, so hopefully someone might give a better answer than mine.

But if I do think of a better answer then I post back

DieSse 01:17 01 Jun 03

How to fix the start-up menu problem click here

For the display problem, you probably need to relaod the graphics drivers - what graphics facility do you have?

fitshase 01:55 01 Jun 03

One solution for the future could be to upgrade to Windows XP.

In XP you can set accounts up for all of the users of the computer. You would be the "administrator" account and would be allowed to do anything.

You could set up "user" accounts for everyone else which means that they cannot install any software.

The added advantage is that each person can have their own start menu, desktop and My Documents folder all of which can be made private to prevent the other computer users accessing eachothers files.

regards

Fitshase

Dazed&Confused 12:25 01 Jun 03

The shut down problem seems to have resolved itself.

How do I reformat the hard drive as suggested in your response?

VoG™ 12:29 01 Jun 03
  ThisNameIsMine 12:34 01 Jun 03

If you Install windows XP u have the option of formationg you hard drive during install.

Dazed&Confused 13:05 01 Jun 03

Thanks for all the help - the only problem now is the set-up screen coming up when I boot the pc but I can live with that for now.

DieSse 13:16 01 Jun 03

"the only problem now is the set-up screen coming up when I boot the"

See the link above to fix this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…