2nd USB exteral Hard Drive

Sethhaniel 12:28 16 Dec 06

Can two USB external hard drives be used at same time?
I have had a 80Gb USB for some time and getting full have now got an extra 250gb drive

but when both plugged in the 80Gb on shows no files on it - folders are there and right clicking shows the disk usage while 250gb show OK -when inserted alone the 80Gb shows up working correctly - both USB2 on XP sp2 2600

maybe a setting for number of files shown???
any ideas

I am Spartacus 12:32 16 Dec 06

I've had up to three external USB hard drives plugged in and working at the same time. Does the 80GB need a power supply or is it powered by the USB bus? It could be a power issue. Have you tried switching to other ports?

Sethhaniel 12:53 16 Dec 06

and both work fine but not together
will try switching the ports and see if that makes a difference ;)

Snec 13:48 16 Dec 06

Just thought this might be useful: I also have three USB external drives but, strangely..... one of them will not work through the hub, it has to go straight to the machine.

FatboySlim71 16:04 16 Dec 06

I have two external hard drives which are connected into my pc through a hub my USB hub has its own power supply, so as long as you have a USB hub that comes with its own power supply then the drives should work. I agree it could be a power issue, the best thing is when you buy a USB hub is to buy one that comes with its own power supply then that way you are not drawing power off of the PC.

I have this USB hub and it works spot on never had any problems whatsoever when connecting/running things that are plugged into it. Just thought I would mention it in case you are wanting to get a powered USB hub.
click here#

Snec 21:35 16 Dec 06

Re: my post above.

I should have explained the message I was making more clearly. My hub is powered but that one external drive I mentioned will not work through any of my hubs. Even if it is the only one connected, it will not work through a hub. It has to go direct to the machine.

Sethhaniel 14:22 17 Dec 06

connecting the 80gb through a hub - but tried swapping the main usb 2 sockets first - switching on the 80gb first all ok - swirch on the 250gb comes on fine but then the 80gb unconnects and an error message comes up saying that the item connected is at fault -
(same message ad when I had tehm in original order)

but workiing fine and happy with the 80 through the powered hub

ticked for now

FatboySlim71 11:46 18 Dec 06

So to clarify, both external hard drives work ok when they are both running through the powered USB hub?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…