2nd SATA Hard Disk Not seen by Windows?

Tinkey Winkey 22:26 06 Jan 07

Hi,

I've added a second SATA HDD just for editing my camcorer footage.

It's on the 2nd sata master socket on the motherboard.
Bios and post shows it's there but when I get into Windows> My Computer it's not listed?

How do I get windows to see the drive please?

Do I need to set up some sort of raid configuration?

I want the Hdds to be independent - one with Windows XP as the boot disk and the other just for video editing.

Things were so much easier with IDE ATA HDDS lol.

My specs are:
Asus A8N SLI premium motherboard
Hitachi Deskstar 7k500 500GB OEM
Windows XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:35 06 Jan 07

My computer - right click -select manage - storage - disk management - initialise and format there.

Tinkey Winkey 22:49 06 Jan 07

Thanks Fruit Bat you are alway here thank goodness.

I can see the new hdd is listed as Disk 1 under Disk Management - I initialised it and it says it's online but it's still is not showing as an extra drive in 'My Computer' what do I do now please?

Tinkey Winkey 23:02 06 Jan 07

ok have managed to get the New Volume Wizard up and running and it's now formatting under NTFS as my E drive.

However under the 'Type' column it says it's 'Dynamic' whereas the boot drive C is 'Basic'.

Should the new Drive be Basic aswell?

woodchip 23:13 06 Jan 07

If it works why bother what it says

Tinkey Winkey 23:15 06 Jan 07

OK - chose a quick format and the disk has now appeared and seems to work fine :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:37 07 Jan 07
  Dannos 01:55 17 Jan 07

Now i am runing a second sata hdd. only problem is that i have to go into drive (C:) to access my new drive (F:). Question is, can i move it directly to "my computer" to have C and F side by side? I might be able to sus it out when its finnished formating its new partition. Any this was a great help as im building my first PC.
Regards, Dannos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…