2nd identity on a tiscali account

palinka 16:48 26 Jun 04

Two members of family using same email account with tiscali, account is in name of [email protected], I've just added a 2nd identity for [email protected] etc.
Now can't dial-up successfully under either name: get as far as apparently connecting and checking identity, password, etc, then a window appears, called "Logon - pop.tiscali.co.uk" which says "enter your user name and password for the following server: pop.tiscali.co.uk and then one of the two names (michael or jane blogg, but password is same for both)". Click on OK or whatever it offers, but it returns endlessly and prevents completing the connection to receive emails. Not 100% certain that the password is correct, but same password apparently allows AVG to dial up for updates through same ISP account. Any solutions, please? A 3rd member of family has an MSN account via same isp account - could that affect it?

rawprawn 17:24 26 Jun 04

Have you actually registered the 2nd email address at tiscali? you need to do that if you haven't done so already. I use two email addresses with no problem

palinka 17:36 26 Jun 04

thanks Rawprawn. Yes, I've done that, but it won't dial up either of them.

rawprawn 17:46 26 Jun 04

If you are using Outlook you need to look at your accounts again and make sure you have entered all the details correctly, particularly clear the password and re-enter it since that seems to be where the problem is. They have a help line if the worst comes to the worst.(Make sure that your connection is properly configured IE: modem or adsl, and are you sure of your user name it is not always the same as your email address.

palinka 17:53 26 Jun 04

Rawprawn, I think you've just spotted the likely reason for the problem - the user name. The problem computer belongs to a friend and i'm now back at home, but now you mention it I'm fairly sure the user name was typed in as same as email address. Stupid of me! Can't follow it up now until Monday, but I may be in touch again after that.
Can't access the helpline as can't dial up!

GaT7 18:33 26 Jun 04

1. You need to create a SEPARATE account in OE or OL in order to send/receive emails to/from the secondary identity. So if you have one set up one for michaelbloggs you need to make a separate one for janebloggs (& consequently for any more identities you add), not forgetting to add the rest of the email address.

2. Also, you're right that the username (or 'Account name' as it's called in OE) for the secondary identity is the SAME as the email address for the SECONDARY one (and NOT the first one as you/your friend might be entering in the settings).

3. Of course, the password for both need to correct, BUT may be different from each other depending on what was entered when they registered for the secondary one.

4. Other settings: Incoming mail POP3 - pop.tiscali.co.uk. Outgoing mail (SMTP) - smtp.tiscali.co.uk. Also, doublecheck that they're typing in smtp & not stmp (m before t) - this is a common mistake that people make. HTH, G

PS - Always disguise an email address when putting it on a public website. It can be an easy target for spammers. Others please correct me if I'm wrong : (. I hope I am!

spuds 19:01 26 Jun 04

Crossbow7..Yes you are correct.Best not to publish email addresses.

palinka 19:38 26 Jun 04

Fear not, the email address was not the genuine one. Sorry, if there's a Michael Bloggs out there!

Thank you all very much. I'll tick resolved for now and check everything next week. I'll come back if there's still a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…