2nd HD correctly read by BIOS, but unreadable -XP

dekles 23:05 08 Dec 08

I have a problem with my 2nd HD (D), which is correctly read by BIOS set-up as being present, correct size (250GB) etc. but system (XP Professional +SP3) will not boot if it is connected. Boots perfectly if dis-connected. Booting with BartPE disk works, but trying to open disk gives message that HD is RAW, and cannot be used by Bart. Any ideas about restoring disc to a readable state? I have a recovery program which can recover files from HDs, including accidentally re-formatted ones, but obviously I can only use this if I can get the system to boot with the disk connected. I have a back-up of most of the data on the disk, but there are a few items I had not yet backed up, and would like to save, if possible.

Technotiger 23:16 08 Dec 08

If it is connected as a slave, try it instead in a USB enclosure.

Ashrich 00:19 09 Dec 08

Right click on Computer ( My Computer in XP ) and select " Manage " , double click on Storage , then the same on Disk Management , you will see the disk listed on the right hand pane , right click on the piece where it says Disk 1 , you will get the options to Initialise the disk for reading with the OS . Hope that helps , or do a Google for Initialising hard drives .

Ashley

Ashrich 00:24 09 Dec 08

Disregard what I have just said , I didn't read all your post correctly , I see you already have data on it ....is the PC trying to boot from this hard drive ? There should be the option in the bios to change this , in boot options you should be able to specify which disk to boot from , if it still causes problems it might be faulty .

Ashley

MCE2K5 01:19 09 Dec 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…