2nd Hardrive not showing after boot problem follin bios battery replacement

Roadgiant 21:41 PM 03 Nov 12
Answered

I'll start by giving a bit of background, my computer wasn't retaining the time after powering off. I changed the CMOS as that appeared to be the problem looking around the net. I have 2 hard drives on my PC (win 7 op system asus P5-nd), after changing the battery, PC wouldn't boot coming up with the message "bootmgr missing" I then went into the bios on startup, set the PC to boot from DVD then did a repair of w7 which told me I had a problwm with boot (which I allready knew),managed to getthe PC booting fine from the primary drive. So far so good, PC now up and running, but only one drive showing.Went into disc management,2nd drive notshowing, rebooted into setup, only one drive showing The 2nd larger drive only has some video images on, which ideally I could do with accessing,first drive has opp system, program files etc. Any suggestions, many thanks RG

rdave13 22:00 PM 03 Nov 12

I'd remove the second hard drive from the PC and put it in to a caddy. Boot up, then connect the second hard drive via usb so that you can take off all your documents. Make sure that all docs are available to use, not corrupted, before formatting the usb second drive. Reinstall the second drive physically to the desktop. See if Windows now sees it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:07 PM 03 Nov 12

Does the 2nd drive show in BIOS?

You may have to Enable certain SATA port in BIOS for the drive to show.

Roadgiant 22:20 PM 03 Nov 12

Thanks for the replies, \i havn't got a caddy at the moment, so can't try that one. Only one drive is showing in the bios. Also I forgot to mention that I seem to have "inherited" a floppy disc drive "A" that doesnt exist!!!"

rdave13 22:24 PM 03 Nov 12

Are you sure you don't have an OS on the second drive? Classic symptoms of what Windows would do if two OSs installed on different drives and is confused. The A drive will be your second hard drive.

Roadgiant 08:15 AM 04 Nov 12
Answer

Thanks for the help and advice,problem now sorted, loose SATA cable going to the 2nd drive,probabally caused by me when I was replacing CMOS battery,I had to move the graphics card to get to the battery and in doing so must have dislodged cable. Ocew again thanks for the help RG

Roadgiant 08:18 AM 04 Nov 12

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:28 AM 04 Nov 12

"inherited" a floppy disc drive "A" that doesnt exist!!!" ' thats because you have changed the CMOS battery and the settings have reverted to default.

just disable floppy seek and floppy controller (FDD FDC) in the BIOS.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…