2nd Hard Drive Unreadable after reinstall

Hawk-N-Spit 15:28 08 Feb 05

I moved all my photos home videos and music to my F drive then reformatted my C drive and reintalled Win XP Pro now for some reason I cant assign a letter to the F drive and it says dynamic drive unreadable how can I fix this and if it cant be fixed is there any software I can use to recover it all the wedding photos are on there and the wife will slit my throat if I have lost them Please help.

EdFrench 16:33 08 Feb 05

Did you have an OS on the F drive?
You will probably have to check the status of the F drive.
Using Partition magic you can do this from a 'Window'
The drive might be 'Hidden', if so Unhide it.
You might also want to (If you do not intend to install win98 or Linux or some such on it)
convert it to a 'Logical Drive'
You will then be able to assign a drive letter to it.
I would think that your pics are safe as long as the copy procedure went well with no errors showing at the time.

I must admit though, I did lose quite a bit of data once while moving stuff about and re-formatting, but the data still showed up, unlike yours, but it was damaged and unreadable.
Good luck with the wife!

Hawk-N-Spit 16:40 08 Feb 05

no i used the drive as a back up family vids photos and music I dont have partition magic will have to go out and buy it

plsndrs3 16:40 08 Feb 05

Added to my list for future reference!

EdFrench 16:47 08 Feb 05

This can be done from start up using an old win98se rescue disk or an oem rescue disk.
Using Fdisk on the floppy you can check the status of your disk - is it a physical disk? -
On second thoughts, get Partition Magic. I wouldn't want you to upset the wife any more if it all goes pear shaped.
Just a little tip: If you can get hold of a copy of PM7 it will work just as well with XP. Might save you some dosh there. (I think PM8 is the latest release)

pc moron 16:55 08 Feb 05

There's a thread here about the same problem on SATA drives.

It seems it was solved by installing Service Pack 1.

click here

Hawk-N-Spit 17:16 08 Feb 05

Cheers for all your help EdFrench and pc moron it was to do with the service pack I think just installed SP1 & SP2 I also have Diskeeper Pro and istalled that as I went to get something off my usb key my other hard drive was there PHEW!!!! you`ll not be reading about me in next weeks papers wife kills husband over PC COCK UP lol thanks again fellas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…