2nd hard drive problems

The Dazza 18:02 20 Jun 05

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?Basically no matter which 2nd hard drive I connect to my machine I cannot get it to be recognised - well not properly. I can
see it in device manager under disk drives, but not in windows explorer or computer
management. I have tried rescanning disks, rebooted 100 times still no 2nd hdd. Obviously the jumpers are correct and the hdd is connected properly otherwise it wouldn't appear in device manager.

mattyc_92 18:04 20 Jun 05

Have you tried formatting the drive in Disk Management (if WinXP)

The Dazza 18:34 20 Jun 05

..but the drive doesn't show in disk manager to start with, only device manager.

CLONNEN 18:57 20 Jun 05

Have you tried scrolling down in the lower section of the screen in Disk Management. If the 2nd hard drive hasn't yet been formatted you should see an entry with Unformatted next to it. It will not show in the upper section until the drive is formatted. You will also need to allocate it a drive letter. Right click on the new drive to format and give it a drive letter.

CLONNEN 18:59 20 Jun 05

Disk Management is located in the Control Panel under Administrative Tools - Computer Management for anyone who doesn't have a clue what I am referring to.

The Dazza 19:18 20 Jun 05

...not there. Only my 1st hdd & cd rom showing. The only place it is showing is device manager

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 20 Jun 05

Right click the drive in device manager select properties, what comes up?

If you can select volume tab then populate.

dagwoood 19:43 20 Jun 05

Is the IDE channel for your second hard drive set to auto detect?

In device manager expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers". If your 2nd h/d is set up as slave to your main h/d, open properties on your "Primary IDE channel", "Advanced Settings", and see if "Device 1" is set to Auto Detect.

If you 2nd hard drive has its own channel just look in the properties for the "Secondary IDE Channel".

The Dazza 21:27 20 Jun 05

both were set to auto detect. I was writing this post and I got a kernal_stack_inpage_error tried to reboot got "system boot failure". Rebooted with boot disk and eventually got a message saying it couldn't find any hard drived,rebooted fine (brought up my icons etc). Then got a process or thread crucial to system operation had unexpectadly terminated. Rebooted then got primary master hard disk fail, rebooted got "unhandled exception". Now only 1 drive is showing in devive manager

I then decided to do a system restore back to 10th June all looked ok apart from getting "unhandled exception" again.

woodchip 21:48 20 Jun 05

Try uninstalling it from Device Manager and reboot then check Disc Manager

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…