2nd hard drive not shown in my computer

shibbur 16:15 15 Aug 03

I now have two hard drives,after getting a replacement under warranty.One is set to master and one to slave.Both are autodetected at start up,but only the master shows in "MY COMPUTER".Since both have operating systems installed(as back up having had one hard drive fail) I can reverse the master/slave relationship and the 2nd hard drive appears as master.but not the two together.any help please.

SEASHANTY 17:02 15 Aug 03

Probably something to do with you having the same operating system installed on both drives at the same time. Windows is probably hiding one which is why it is not showing in "My Computer".

Diemmess 17:03 15 Aug 03

If your OS is not XP then Windows doesn't like having another operating system on any drive other than C:
A backup is better in a condensed (image form) file using Ghost or Drive Image.

I think you are using both HDs on the same IDE cable, it has to be worth trying a separate cable from IDE2 to the second drive. They can both be made master then.

Well- someone has to start this ball rolling!

^wave^ 17:27 15 Aug 03

does your bios detect the drive

temp003 17:39 15 Aug 03

I think Seashanty's right. If you can boot up from either hdd, the partition on each disk is an active partition. When the OS one active partition is loaded, it cannot see the other active partition.

shibbur 07:01 16 Aug 03

Thanks to all.the operating system is XP,I will try using IDE2 to see if both show,and the bios does detect both drives.I will find out about ghost and drive image.I think you have answered my problem,thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…