2nd hard drive not showing up in my computer.

chefjuan 20:09 19 Mar 05

hi.the problem i have is that i have recently installed a 2nd hard drive. I am running win 98. when i check on bios it shows up both drives but on my computer it only shows the master. Does anyone know what i could have done wrong. and how i would go about fixing it. thanks sean

bremner 20:11 19 Mar 05

Have you:

Set the jumper on the second drive to slave?

and

Have you partitioned and formatted the second drive?

chefjuan 20:17 19 Mar 05

the jumper is set to cable select and cable is slave but i do not think it is formatted or partitioned. how would i go about doing this?

bremner 20:25 19 Mar 05

Take a look at the advice from the Seagate website - it will apply to any make of HDD click here

THE TERMINATOR 21:47 19 Mar 05

Does the drive show in device manager?

Praxis99 22:08 19 Mar 05

Might also be worth checking the following, go to Device manager and then IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers expand it and then check under primary IDE controllers that your second primary IDE channel is showing auto detection as opposed to none.

If it is showing currently as none switching to auto detection will remedy your problem.

Praxis99 22:12 19 Mar 05

Just add that to check the above you need to look in the advanced settings tab of Primary IDE controllers

THE TERMINATOR 22:34 19 Mar 05

If the drive is listed, bring up it's properties and you should be able to set the drive letter and format(possibly)the drive to get windows to recognise it

chefjuan 10:20 21 Mar 05

thanks for the help. it worked and is now working fine, thanks once again.
sean

THE TERMINATOR 23:37 21 Mar 05

How did you resolve the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…