2nd hard drive - how easy ?

pcdimwit 09:51 17 Nov 03

i have win XP home with 40 GB HD

with xmas coming i thought about adding a 2nd HD in pc case to increase capacity.

from dim wit's aspect how easy is this to do ?

do I just buy HD & plug in a cable from somewhere ?

is there some programming required to set it or is this automatic ?

any recommendation as to what size HD is best and best value for money ?

anything else i need to know ?

Jester2K II 09:56 17 Nov 03

click here

click here

Its really easy. Read the above for details but all you need to do is install the drive. Switch on. Make sure the BIOS recognises the drive and then format it.

No programming required.

Expect to pay about £1 per Gb....

Get as big as you can afford.

alcudia 10:22 17 Nov 03

Just bought and installed a Seagate Barracuda 120Gb from PC World Business for £69.

The hardest part was getting the old one out. Really wedged in. New drive went in easy, booted machine with floppy made from download from the Seagate site. Got asked a couple of question about partition type and 15 seconds later it was telling me that all was done and I should install Windows.

Couldn't have been simpler.

holly polly 11:48 17 Nov 03

added a maxtor 120 gig to my brothers system the othher week ,relatively easy to do ,read the excellent tutorial provided ,and go and do it ,you wont regret it -regards-hol pol...

plankton 12:59 17 Nov 03

Don't forget to make sure you've got screws to fix the new drive in with. They don't (normally) get supplied.;o)

If you download the software from the manufacturer it is a doddle.... :o))

Stratford Comp Fair £82.00 seagate st3120026a 8mb cache ata100 7200rpm 120GB disk.

Just got one

[email protected] E

Took longer to read the instructions & open the case than it did to fit & set up. it was simple.

[email protected] E

pcdimwit 15:32 17 Nov 03

seems like it is not too difficult. will have a go at it. thanks to all for comments.

zumlif2 15:44 17 Nov 03

Nobody has mentioned setting the jumpers on the 2nd.HD as "slave" if you are using 2 HDs as I do.

alcudia 16:32 17 Nov 03

Zumlif2 has mentioned a very good point which we all forgot. There should be diagram on the disc showing the jumper settings.

For the cables, they should be colour coded. Black connector for master and grey for slave.

It may be a good idea to check the jumper setting on your current disc. If it's set to cable select, you can also set the second drive to this.

©®@$? 16:41 17 Nov 03

i just added an 80gb maxtor to my xp system which had a 40gb seagate hardrive

three steps you need to take

1)set the jumpers on the hardrive to suit the system

2)set the bios to autodetect if it isn't already

3)partition and format it

the latter is so easy to do with xp it does it all for you

Go to start, run, type:
diskmgmt.msc

Click ok.

Your new drive will be listed as "Disk 1" right click and choose Initialize.

You can then format from here, by right clicking the long black line and clicking, New Partiton.

thanks to powerless for that click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…