2nd hard drive

malcolm-268256 18:09 15 Mar 03

i want to install a second hard drive on my computer and install winXP along side the current hard drive running win2000. Will i be able to transfer files between the two(drag and drop), will i be able to open an application in one that is installed on the other,will i need to connect the second system to the internet or will they be able to share the same connection(broadband).

Gman 18:17 15 Mar 03

You will be able to drag and drop and some things will open that are installed on the other drive like stand alone programs because each drive is just like a partition. Things like drivers etc may cause problems though you are better to install programs seperately on each drive with it's relevent operating system running or you may get yourself into a mess. As for the internet well just set it up on each operating system. At the end of the day just think of it as 2 PC's connected to the same modem.

spikeychris 18:18 15 Mar 03

If you install XP on NTFS and Win2K is using the same then yes you can drag and drop. You will have to install Apps on both drives if you want to use them.

Chris

powerless 18:20 15 Mar 03

Yes to all.

However you can only have the one connection to the interent open at any one time though.

Forum Editor 18:28 15 Mar 03

installation uses the NTFS file structure, or you won't be able to see any partitions on the Win2000 drive when you're using WinXP.

spikeychris 18:51 15 Mar 03

FE, ringbearer will only need to install XP on NTFS if Win2K is also on NTFS, if 2K is on FAT32 then he/she will have to install XP on FAT32.

Powerless he/she will have to install each program on each drive if he/she wants to use them. You have to treat each operating system as a separate entity. Any programs and drivers you want to use must be installed under each operating system under which you want to use it. For example, if you want to use Microsoft Word on the same computer under both Windows 2K and Windows XP, you must start Windows 2K and install Microsoft Word. Then, you must restart your computer under Windows XP and install Microsoft Word again.

Regards

Chris

powerless 19:17 15 Mar 03

Have 98 on a slave...

I can access and use opera no problems. Opera being on the 98.

spikeychris 19:46 15 Mar 03

Do you not have Opera installed on the master?

Chris

powerless 19:51 15 Mar 03

Nope, only have it installed on the slave.

I prefer MSIE, but now and again go over to opera. It's only installed on the slave.

spikeychris 20:00 15 Mar 03

Do you have a programs partition?

powerless 20:04 15 Mar 03

Apologies the drive does not have 98 on it.

The drive is a fully formatted 3GB FAT32 Primary partition. Which has only opera on it.

It will have an operating systm on it soon ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…