2nd Hard Drive

johnincrete 17:17 12 Jun 09

I'm running out of space for video files which tend to be a bit big!
How do I find what the existing HD is so that I can go shopping?

john bunyan 17:24 12 Jun 09

In XP, left click on Start, My computer. Right llick on C: drive, Right click on Properties.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 12 Jun 09

Why not get a large external drive to store your video files?

woodchip 20:25 12 Jun 09

You do not need to know what size the original drive is, Just make sure that its the same type of drive.
IDE or SATA as connections are different

woodchip 20:27 12 Jun 09

PS forgot to say that you need to create a Active Partition on the drive and format it. Make sure its a NTFS not Fat32 as you will be limited to 4Gb file size with Fat32

johnincrete 05:29 13 Jun 09

The performance of video editing by putting the video filels on and external drive. I will use the existing external for archiving files.

gazzaho 05:34 13 Jun 09

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggests, an external drive would be the easiest way to create more storage space on your computer. All it requires is a free USB socket in order to use, no formatting or setup is usually required for these drives as they come with everything required.

An external drive would be the best way to gain extra storage if you are unsure of the inner workings of your computer, it will also lessen the load on your computers power supply unit as external drives have their own power supply.

johnincrete 05:35 13 Jun 09

Thanks for the help.
I think my existing HD is SATA but how can I be sure?
In properties, it is identified as ST3160023AS - does the "ST" say it is SATA or must I look elsewhere. Its size is 150GB which, when I bought the computer about 5 years ago, seemed rediculously big!

Kevscar1 05:47 13 Jun 09

If you put that in your search engine you get this.

click here

woodchip 11:42 13 Jun 09

You need to take the side of the box and have a look at the Drive, if its a wide Ribbon Data Cable its IDE its a small plug its SATA When I say Wide its about 50mm wide. you can use software to tell you whats in your computer, but most computers its just take two screws out of left side and slide back the side

woodchip 11:43 13 Jun 09

A Internal Drive is a lot faster writing to, so that would be my first choice unless you want to use a External to plug into different computers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…