2nd Hard Disk – are my assumptions correct?

Mike D 08:03 16 Jan 04

I currently have an Athlon XP 2700, 512 Mb RAM and a Maxtor 120Gb HDD and Windows XP Home. Using Drive Image I have created a second partition where a backup image is stored. Even though this is a backup solution, I have been concerned for some time that “all my eggs are in on basket”, should the HDD fail.

I propose to install a second identical HDD as a slave and create the image on this. I will then delete the partition on the first drive. My assumption is that, as Drive Image created the hidden partition, I will be able to reverse the process. If I cannot, would I be able to re-format the disk, thus deleting the partition, and restore the image previously created on the second disk. (I suppose I will have to reinstall XP first, together with drive image, or would I?).

Some guidance from the experts please.

Thanks
Mike

Diodorus Siculus 08:10 16 Jan 04

fidsk, format and partition the new disk.

Copy your back up to a partition on this one.

Create regular images from the original disk to the new you.

Diodorus Siculus 08:12 16 Jan 04

The new "one" not the new "you"!

You can then delete the image from the partition on the original disk.

Use the second disk also for "My Documents" emails, the windows temp files, scratch disk and so on.

AubreyS 08:13 16 Jan 04

Its always a possibility that your hard drive could totally fail. For that reason I have got another drive for that pupose.

Mike D 08:15 16 Jan 04

Diodorus Siculus

Thanks for prompt reply.

Mike D

powerless 18:33 16 Jan 04

No need to FDISK when using XP.

Just Click, Start, Run, Type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click OK and you can format, create patitions etc from within the Window ;-)

Mike D 09:18 17 Jan 04

Thank you one and all, I'm off to order the second drive, wish me luck!

Mike

Diodorus Siculus 10:12 17 Jan 04

Good luck! And set the jumpers correctly - that is the first downfall of many installations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…