2nd Hard Disc Easy in XP ?

Commander Straker 17:20 07 Jun 06

In a rash moment I purchased a 160Gb Maxtor HDD (OEM)as my daughter is doing A Level photography (you can guess the problem) and it seemed a good deal. I think I'm okay with the installation of the hardware but when it comes to switching on the PC does XP just detect the new drive and hey presto I have a new drive letter ? If so can I drag and drop files over as normal or do I have to format it first ? I intend my existing disc (80GB) to remain as Master and the new one to be Slave and just be a file storage drive.

Thanks

Gongoozler 17:28 07 Jun 06

Hi Commander Straker. Usually adding the second hard drive is easy. Assuming that your hard drive is parallel - i.e. it uses the old 80 way ribbon cable, then if your BIOS has the primary slave drive set to Auto, it should be recogbised there. In Windows go to Control panel - Administrative tools - Computer management - Disk management. There you will be able to format the new drive, and if you want to you can also change the drive letter. click here

mattyc_92 17:29 07 Jun 06

Yes... Windows XP will detect the new drive, and assign a letter to it and format it (you may have to format it using Disc Management tool, post back if windows doesn't assign a letter for instructions on this)
And you can just copy and paste (as you would normally from one folder to another) to the new drive

Set the new one to slave if you are going to use it for just extra storage

Commander Straker 17:54 08 Jun 06

Thanks for responding so quickly - I'll give it a go this weekend !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…