2nd drive/seperate/same PC?

Learner123 15:26 16 Feb 05

I have WinXP with an 80GB hard drive,(& I'm happy with it). My son likes to enter sites where he 'happily' picks up a virus or two, usually on music sites.I recently bought a 250GB H/D so that he could use that,& me use my own (80GB)...as I'm tired of doing a clean install after he does his 'thing' on PC.I was wondering if I could use both drives SEPERATELY?.That way I could have a healthy drive, as he messes his up.Both would have the same Programmes, BUT neither drive must 'See' the other, & if so,how.is this possible to do? Thanks in advance for any help, John....P.S.I didn't start yet.

Diemmess 15:36 16 Feb 05

As far as I understand it you may treat a 2nd HD as a separate computer and install XP on it.

There are other ways, but no easy way to fix the other computer to be invisible.

At bootup you simply have to select which computer to use.

Learner123 15:47 16 Feb 05

I know what connections to make,do I have to go into bios?

FelixTCat 15:51 16 Feb 05

You can certainly do a separate installation on each disk but you will have to reinstall all the programs on the second drive as well.

When you boot, you will see all his drives and vice versa; the drive letters will be changed. There will be nothing to stop him accessing your disks and files, but nothing he does will be able to infect your installation unless you access one of his infected files.

The downside is that you will have no control over his firewall and virus settings - "his" machine could become badly infected, act as a trojan transmitter and, at worst, get both of you kicked off by your ISP.

If you have XP Pro, I think you should consider only one installation. Put yourself in the administrator group with control over program installation etc. Give him user status without permission to install. Password protect the log-ins. That way you can ensure that your firewall is not compromised, the antivirus software protects your system, both are updated and that the computer is regularly scanned. He will not be able to access your documents.

If you have XP Home, consider an upgrade to Pro.

Learner123 16:06 16 Feb 05

OK, I only have XPhome.I don't mind him seeing my files.....could I not have a seperate login password? Probably not by the sounds of it. Anyway, I know about the drive letters,but do I have to mess with the bios? Thanks, John.

FelixTCat 16:39 16 Feb 05

You could give him a separate log-on and password protect both in Home so that he couldn't see your files, but all log-ins in Home have administrator privileges, so you can't stop him installing software. If you can password-protect the firewall and antivirus settings, that would help.

No, you don't have to go into the BIOS. If both hard disks are on the same IDE channel (the same cable) one must be set as master and one as slave by jumpers on the drive, usually near the data cable connection. The connect the drive to the power and data cables and switch on.

You will have to format the new disk in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. It will show up as Disk 1. Right click and click on format. Windows will format the drive and give it a drive letter. It will then show up in My Computer. You can then copy any of his files onto that disk, if that's what yu want to do.

If you don't already have separate log-ins you have to set those up.

Learner123 15:03 27 Feb 05

Thanks for all the help FelixTCat. All running Smoothly at last. Thanks again lads.

FelixTCat 16:28 27 Feb 05

You're welcome. Glad it all worked out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…