2nd 80gb HDD lost 50gb

charlyk 21:38 27 Feb 08

I would really appreciate if anybody could give me a heads-up on this problem.

I have installed a 2nd 80gb hard drive (as slave) to help out my almost full main hdd.

I am running XP sp2 on main hdd. However, when I added 2nd hdd Windows will only see it as a 30gb hdd. The BIOS sees 80gb.

I have tried alternative methods, ie. taking out 1st hdd and just booting 2nd, it then sees as a 80gb. (which eventually cost me all my data, have had to reformat both hdd and reinstall).

When both drives are installed can only use combined total of 110gb.

I am using: Intel Celeron CPU 2.40ghz with 512mb RAM with Windows XP sp2 (home edition).

Any ideas?? all help gratefully received.

TIA Cheryl

DieSse 22:13 27 Feb 08

You may have tried to format it to FAT32 with XP - which will only format up to 32GB.

The solution is to format it to NTFS, which ca format to much higher capacities.

woodchip 22:18 27 Feb 08

The drive may have a limiting jumper on it so you can change it check edge of drive for jumper other than slave jumper

DieSse 22:21 27 Feb 08

"The drive may have a limiting jumper on it..." - but then the BIOS would only see it as 32GB.

charlyk 23:28 27 Feb 08

It has been formatted to NTFS (several times). I have tried as cable select, slave, master, and swapped drives around, but each time the 2nd hdd is only showing 30gb.

woodchip 23:39 27 Feb 08

Have you looked in Disc Management to see if there is unallocated space on the drive?

right click My Computer Manage\Disc Management

mima 23:40 27 Feb 08

try manufacturer website if there is some program t osort this out i had to do it once with my seagate hd it was 200GB but comp saw only 130GB or some like that so i used seagate program to format hd and than it was all ok or maybe to update bios on your mobo would help

charlyk 23:56 27 Feb 08

Got a feeling that I got it wrong, and that the BIOS is seeing smaller size as well. If BIOS needs updating, how do I do that. I look through the BIOS info to check all the settings, but not sure how to update.

TIA

charlyk 23:57 27 Feb 08

Thanks Woodchip, yes have done that, to no avail.

DieSse 00:27 28 Feb 08

Try mimas suggestion of a manufacturer utility. Theses can sometimes overcome BIOS capacity limits.

What make is the drive?

Terry Brown 09:09 28 Feb 08

Are you using a system restore disk, as these have preset partition settings, which would account for the problem.

Try this.
Goto to help & Support, in box enter DISK
(Usually bottom option)- Disk Management
Check for unused area's on hard drive
If found you can then format them and they will show on your system.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…