2mb availability on my telephone line

CurlyWhirly 18:51 04 Dec 04

I am currently on 1 mb broadband and, according to BT, my line ISN'T able to support the 2 mb download speed.
If this is the case how come when I am downloading a LARGE file (for example a Microsoft update patch) I *do* connect at the 2 mb speed for a VERY SHORT time?

For example even though my DESIGNATED speed is 1 mb (125 kb/sec), at the START of a LARGE download I *briefly* connect at a MUCH higher speed like for example 280 kb/sec, but (as said before) this RAPIDLY comes down in speed until after 2 or 3 seconds I am at around my designated speed of 125 kb/sec!

If my telephone line WASN'T able to support this speed, then how come I *can* connect for VERY short periods of time with NO connection loss?
Also if I am paying for a 1 mb download speed then WHY do I sometimes get more bandwidth than I am paying for even though this is VERY short lived?!
Thanks in advance for any advice.

smokingbeagle 18:57 04 Dec 04

it is because the download starts buffering on your PC even before you click "download".

mattyc_92 19:00 04 Dec 04

Everyone's (almost in anyway) broadband or dial-up internet access does this... I am using the 512kb contection (half the speed of your connection) and I can get up to speeds of up to 300Kb for the first couple of seconds of a download

CurlyWhirly 19:05 04 Dec 04

Thanks to you both.
So this 'extra speed' at the start of a download ISN'T real then?
That has cleared things up as I couldn't understand why I was told my line wouldn't support 2 mb when, before my very eyes, it sometimes DOES reach these kinds of speeds!

mattyc_92 19:13 04 Dec 04

We are pleased to help you and we hope that we have shreaded some light onto the subject...

Bye

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…