2k vs xp pro

madPentium 15:04 04 Nov 03

Does anyone know if windows 2k has the same 10 connections restriction that xp pro has? I dont think 13 users who only share a few docs warranties a server os.

Many thanks

squidgee 15:22 04 Nov 03

We use win 2k at my place of work and have several hundred users on it so i guess it is not restricted.......Dont quote me tho!!

critic-al 15:34 04 Nov 03

Windows XP Professional includes a stripped-down version of Internet Information Services (IIS), enabling a Windows XP Professional computer to host one Web and one FTP site on the computer. Home Edition doesn?t include IIS.

The management interface is the same for IIS as that on Windows 2000. Like IIS on Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional is limited to 10 concurrent connections. This makes IIS a good choice for sharing printers that make use of the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) and provides resources to other computers on the LAN when the traditional resource-sharing methods aren?t ideal. It also lets users host and control their own personal Web sites. Plus, there is nothing to stop a Windows XP Professional computer from acting as a public Internet server in situations where the 10-connection limit isn?t a factor. For example, you might use Windows XP Professional as an inexpensive staging server to test Web sites prior to publishing to the final target server.

IIS also includes the SMTP service to allow the computer to act as an SMTP server. The SMTP service accepts incoming connections as well as outgoing connections, but it is intended more as an SMTP relay service than a full-blown e-mail server. The service doesn?t provide mailboxes but does support a drop folder for incoming messages not forwarded to another server. While you could write an application to pull messages from the drop folder, it isn?t worth the effort considering the minimal cost of the many third-party e-mail servers that run on Windows XP. So the SMTP service is useful mainly as an outgoing e-mail server for messages generated by forms or scripts on the local computer. It?s also useful for users who need to send outgoing messages for accounts hosted on remote servers that don?t allow mail relay from the user?s network

madPentium 17:18 04 Nov 03

But the machine is not being used to host web sites at all, it is only used for sharing a folder to several users. I suppose because they use IP for their network protocol, XP sees these as it would an internet connection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…