25 extra ghost printers on network

Bandy 19:14 22 Nov 03

Following some sort of glitch when a couple of computers in a five computer network were switched off overnight and then on again the next morning about 25 extra printers have appeared in the network of one computer.

Needless to say they are not real and don't appear on the individual machine, running Win98, but they do appear in the network places of the other four machines running on WinXP.

Obvious question where did they come from and how to get rid of them.

Your help will be appreciated

spikeychris 19:20 22 Nov 03

Happens a lot. To prevent them from returning, go to My Computer | Tools | Folder
Options | View and un-check "Automatically search for network folders
and printers".

spikeychris 19:21 22 Nov 03

Just delete them from Printers in control panel.

Bandy 19:55 22 Nov 03

Thanks very much I'll do that on Monday

Bandy 18:17 25 Nov 03

Spikeychris

Thanks for your help

I found the printers on the Win98 machine, and they were removed by disabling the sharing.

When looking at the individual printers they appeared ok until the sharing was checked, then instead of showing for example, an HP1220c, it came up as shared printer 26. When that was not shared it came up as printer 17 etc until it eventually showed up correctly. The same went for the other printers on that machine.

I've explained it this way in the hope that it may assist others when they happen across such a situation for the first time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…