24 and 20 pin power supply

Ollyolly 19:52 17 Aug 08

I've been given a defunct Packard Bell PC. It's lacking a hard drive and a power supply.
The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8I915PMD.
Both of my spare power supply units have a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector.
The motherboard has a 24 pin socket and a 4 pin socket.
The power supply 4 pin connector fits perfectly.
The power supply 20 pin connector will fit in only one place in the 24 pin socket. This leaves 4 pins on the motherboard socket with no power to them.

Does anyone know if I can use the 20 pin connector in the 24 pin socket or do I need a power supply with a 24 pin connector?

Thanks

I am Spartacus 20:01 17 Aug 08

click here suggests it will work but won't provide power, or enough anyway to PCIE slots.

Ollyolly 20:08 18 Aug 08

I am Spartacus,

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure I fully understand what it says. So for the time being I don't think I'll plug the 20 pin plug into the 24 pin socket.

Nosing around on the internet today I found that it is possible to buy adaptors to link the above. For a few quid I think I'll try one of these and see what happens.

Thanks again.

User-1284274 20:54 18 Aug 08

yes maplins do one of these i purchased one for a computer build recently about a fiver i think

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…