2.1 or 7.1 speakers?

umarn 23:41 10 Jul 04

I went to the mesh showroom to buy a mesh pc. The mesh pc came with 7.1 speakers as standard. I had the option to exchange the 7.1 system with a 2.1 system of equal value. I went for the 7.1 system thinking it was better (because there are 7 speakers). But now i cannot figure out how on earth i would possibly go about setting up 7 speakers in my bedroom? has anyone out there ever done it? how should i set them up - what is the best way? or should i tell mesh to change the 7.1 to the 2.1?

gudgulf 23:56 10 Jul 04

have a look at click here for 7.1 set up details.

Indigo 1 00:16 11 Jul 04

If you want to play lots of DVD's and have surround sound or similar the 7.1 is ideal but if it's maily for music you will be better off with 2.1

Stuartli 12:42 11 Jul 04

It's highly likely that the 2.1 system, if it is priced the same as a 7.1 system, will be superior.

Simple logic decrees that if you produce five extra speakers in a setup without increasing the price then something has to give - most likely, in this case, to be the quality.

As the speakers are the final and decisive link in the sound chain, you need the best you can get and that also applies to the sound card etc.

There's an old hi-fi saying that applies equally here: Rubbish in, rubbish out.

You can always choose a 2.1 setup from the Windows audio properties setup.

umarn 14:31 11 Jul 04

surround would be nice but there is no way i can set 7 speakers up correctly in my bedroom. it is just not feasable to have 7 speaker stands scatterred around my room. but the 2.1 system isnt bad surely? the mesh pc i have purchased comes with a soundblaster audigy 2 sound card.

umarn 14:31 11 Jul 04

surround would be nice but there is no way i can set 7 speakers up correctly in my bedroom. it is just not feasable to have 7 speaker stands scatterred around my room. but the 2.1 system isnt bad surely? the mesh pc i have purchased comes with a soundblaster audigy 2 sound card.

Diodorus Siculus 14:37 11 Jul 04

Which 7.1 speakers are they? If creative, they come with brackets which can be attached to the wall.

Stuartli 15:19 11 Jul 04

You are actually talking about eight, not seven, speakers...:-)

If you only have a small bedroom, then installing eight speakers in it will almost certainly cause problems with so many sound outlets.

Far better to have a good quality 2.1 system and enjoy the sound output.

It's much easier to find both suitable and convenient placements for two speakers - the subwoofer can normally be placed virtually anywhere you wish - than for seven of them plus subwoofer output.

umarn 15:49 11 Jul 04

the speakers are creative

cable-ties 16:11 11 Jul 04

Surround sound is only really any good in a large room.Used in cinema,fantastic.Small bedroom,not so good.Have to agree with Stuartli

umarn 16:13 11 Jul 04

thanks you guys for all the help. i will phone them tomorrow to change it to the 2.1 creative speakers. they looked so much better too. thanks.
lack of surround isnt that much of an issue anyway surely. if i wanted to watch surround sound dvds all i have to do is go downstairs to my living room.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…