20gb unallocated space

Hawk-N-Spit 13:28 20 May 05

I have just reinstalled Windows Xp Pro with sp1 and sp2. I have only just realised that my hard drive has gone from 160gb to 129gb after checking in disk management there is 20gb unallocated space I tried to create a partition in this space but it won`t allow me. I also have partition magic 8 I have tried using this as well but I am having no joy can I rescue this 20gb or is it lost? I originally had windows on my 60gb hard drive but transferred this to my sons PC hence the reinstall can i reclaim the extra gigs or are they lost?

Indigo 1 13:48 20 May 05

Are you using NTFS or FAT file system ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:52 20 May 05

(start > run > regedit <enter>) and go to the following folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters there add a new key named "EnableBigLba" , type: "REG_DWORD" and "value 1" (excluding the quotes (")) now restart and your windows will see the true size

Hawk-N-Spit 14:29 20 May 05

tried that I can see the space in disk managemenet amd partition magic 8 it just wont allow me to use it i get the following message in disk management

the disk configuration operation did not complete

verify the status of your storage devices before retrying

and in partition magic 8 PM 8 just stops working

gudgulf 15:15 20 May 05

Have a read through this forum thread,it has a lot that you might find useful click here

When you say you installed XPpro +SP1 +SP2,do you have a pre service pack version of Windows to which you have subsequently updates with the service packs?

If this is the case then that is where your problem lies.Pre SP1 windows XP would only recognise up to 132GB, so that is the maximum size partition you can install to.Adding SP1 (which supports larger discs) and SP2 would not resize the original partition.leaving you short of the 20 GB you have on your disc.I don't think many of the partition manager tools will work on the active Windows partition but this one will click here

I'm surprised that you can't format the extra unallocated space from the Disk Management tool within Windows.Will Partition Magic not pick up the free space and format it for you?

One option is that you start again and reformat,splitting the drive into two 80GB partitions....although a real pain in the behind that would work.You could also try putting your drive as a slave to the hard drive in your sons pc and see if you can format the extra 20GB using his computers operating system.

Hawk-N-Spit 01:05 21 May 05

Thank`s very much everyone I very much appreciate your help. I`m a dipstick!!! I have Pro Magic Plus installed and that was stopping me from making any changes however I only noticed this after I changed the size of my C drive and rendered the drive unreadable. :( I had to do a full reinstall not a happy chappie but after moping around all day I suppose I have to look on the bright side I got my 20 gigs back. Like I said thanks very much for your help it was much appreciated. Thanks Pete

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…