200GB hdd only showing 130GB!!........Help

matthew_sargent 16:57 22 Jul 03

I've just upgraded my hdd to a 200GB, but it only shows 130GB!! Believe it to be my motherboard. Is this the case. If so, can I free the 70GB some how (apart from buying a new Motherboard). Cheers

BillEmm 17:26 22 Jul 03

matthew_sargent, I think this has something to do with 28 bit addressing which means only the first 137GB will be recognised.

Personally I haven't come across the problem but note there are several suggestions around, like:

Use a RAID header as it has 32 bit (64 even) addressing or,

upgrade the BIOS or,

there should be a special IDE controller upgrade on a disk supplied with the HDD.

Best I can do.

Bill

Stuartli 17:29 22 Jul 03

If you go to the Western Digital website you will find a program intended to overcome this - I believe it's something to do with FAT32 (max 137GB) and NTFS, with the latter able to handle larger drives.

The Idle one 17:43 22 Jul 03

I think it requires XP & SP1.
And also later processors or third party cards.
Pre XP sp1 all drives max were 137 gb

Pappyon 17:50 22 Jul 03

I had exactly the same problem as yourself when I installed a 160gb HDD as slave to a 80gb.
Go to the Microsoft support site and follow the instructions in the a/n support document in relation to amending a registry entry.
It's as simple as that.

Nothing else needs to be done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…