200GB hard drive shows as 137GB in BIOS-ok to use?

nilescrane 23:26 20 Apr 06

I've just bought a 200GB IDE drive. The BIOS (for which there is no update) shows it as only 137GB which I understand is the maximum size (it's an old comp). Windows recognises it as the correct size. Would it be OK to use the disk, provided it's partitioned into drives of less that 137GB? Or will I have to install a PCI/IDE adaptor card. Thanks.

Totally-braindead 23:29 20 Apr 06

It is ok to use it but there are some fixes as work arounds as it were. What operating system?

nilescrane 23:30 20 Apr 06

XP Pro

Totally-braindead 23:38 20 Apr 06

Right click on My Computer, go to Manage then Storage then Disk Management, the unallocated space should be there and you can create another partition. There are other ways round this but I can't remember what they are at the moment, think I need my bed but the others may help.

Totally-braindead 23:40 20 Apr 06

Before I go, hows your brother Frasier? Still headshrinking?

nilescrane 23:44 20 Apr 06

Thanks for the reply. I've already created partitions. I was just wondering if it was OK to use more that 137GB in view of the BIOS not recognising any more. As for my brother, he's got a message for you: 'Cheers!'

ed-0 23:53 20 Apr 06

enabling 48 bit support click here

Totally-braindead 23:56 20 Apr 06

I'm not sure if you can increase the partition size to above 137gb without destoying the data stored on it, it would be simple enough just to create a partition and have the drive split in two drives 137gb and 63gb. That you can do without deleting anything.

Totally-braindead 23:57 20 Apr 06

Thanks ed-0 thats what I was trying to find on the Microsoft website but couldn't see it.

ed-0 00:01 21 Apr 06

Sorry did not read your last post properley;-)

If you use accronis you WILL be able to merge both the C drive and the unallocated space without losing any data from the C drive.

nilescrane 00:12 21 Apr 06

Thanks for the info ed-0. I've backed-up all the existing data, so that's not a prob. It's just the disparity between the BIOS and Windows that I was wondering about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now