2003 vintage Labtec USB Webcam installation help

six-h 22:21 04 Aug 10

I've been given an old webcam.
The drivers on the disc are for Win 98SE, Me, 2000 and XP.
I've downloaded the Vista drivers from Labtec and the first thing it asks me to do is disable my AV and any antispyware!!
Is this normal?

northumbria61 22:32 04 Aug 10

Yes, sometimes it is necessary to disable temporarily to be able to install and to avoid conflict.

six-h 22:34 04 Aug 10

Thanks northumbria61, I'll give it a try then!

woodchip 23:01 04 Aug 10

You should not be connected to the Net when you disable AV, Nor let the Software connect to the Net while it is disabled

six-h 23:14 04 Aug 10

Couldn't find where to turn AVG off, so I just installed it anyway and all seems OK!

six-h 23:17 04 Aug 10

Hi Woodchip, I did disconnect my net connection, but couldn't find an off switch for AVG! lol
It's only an old manual focus cam with no sound but it'll be OK for me to start with.

six-h 23:38 04 Aug 10

Hmm now I've got no sound!
Did a re-start as directed by the Labtec installer, and left the webcam connected via a USB Hub.
Device Mgr showed yellow triangles against three items that are no longer there now that I've done a further re-start with the webcam disconnected but I still have no sound.
Help!

six-h 23:45 04 Aug 10

Just plugged the webcam back in and was told that it could perform faster if it was connected to a "Root Hub" what ever that is!
I've unplugged it from the USB Hub it was in and plugged it in to one of the front panel USB ports.
Now there are no yellow triangles, but still no sound.

six-h 01:01 05 Aug 10

Finally got me ears back!
Why do they make sound set up so complicated?
Come to that, why does the camera with no microphone stick it's nose in the sound settings atall?
Just hope all's well when I boot-up in the morning...don't want to have to go through that again!

six-h 01:45 05 Aug 10

Just before I give up, found that although I seem to have a full compliment of sounds, both windows and others, the volume control in mdea player no longer has any effect, it can only be controlled from the volume icon in the sys tray, furthermore, there is nolonger a "Media Player" item in the volume mixer window!
Oh God...what have I done :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…