200 GB hard disk recognised as 130 GB. Bios or XP?

286hercules 23:26 02 Aug 04

I have just bought a 200 GB hard disk and I cannot make my PC to recognise the full capacity.
Is there a known solution for this? My PC has an Athlon 900MHz with an Award Medallion V.6.0 BIOS. Can I update the BIOS or the problem is with windows XP?

Djohn 23:29 02 Aug 04

Do you have XP SP1 Version or later? You will need this to recognise the disk.

johnsims 23:50 02 Aug 04

Anything over 137Gb requires XP Service Pack 1 - or a separate IDE controller card such as the Promise.

temp003 06:08 03 Aug 04

Both your BIOS and your OS must support hdds larger than 137GB in order for it to be recognised.

For XP, as above, you must have SP1 installed.

Your BIOS must also support 48-bit LBA.

It's possible your motherboard BIOS does not have the necessary support.

Restart computer and go into BIOS setup, and see what it says about the capacity of your hdd. If it says around 137GB, then the problem is with the BIOS.

Then go through the options in BIOS to see if there is an option to enable 48-bit LBA. If so, enable it.

If not, you can find out the make and model of your motherboard, go to their website to see if there is a BIOS update which adds this support. The motherboard might be quite old, and you may not find the necessary BIOS flash.

If flashing the BIOS is not possible, you have 2 options.

Better and more reliable option is as johnsims suggests, buy a PCI IDE adaptor/controller card. Any ATA-133 adaptor will support hdds larger than 137GB (part of the ATA-133 specifications). Some ATA-100 cards will as well, but make sure it says it supports such hdds. Then connect the hdd to the adaptor. Boot into XP, and install driver for the controller card if necessary (XP will probably install the driver itself).

The other option is go to the website of your hdd manufacturer and download its drive overlay software to enable the computer to read the hdd's full capacity. No need to dish out, but the disadvantage is, it's more risky in terms of data protection. For example if you have to repair or reinstall the OS, you may lose the drive overlay software, and will need to reinstall the software to be able to see the old data. If you choose this route, make sure that you create all the necessary drive overlay boot floppies/CD in case you need to restore it.

286hercules 00:19 04 Aug 04

Hi,
I installed SP1 and run partition magic and is still 130GB. My motherboard is an old ASUS A7V and although the BIOS is programmable, as the manual states, I couldn't find any relevant updates on ASUS's website.
I think I 'll try the PCI IDE controller.
I 'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help.

286Hercules

temp003 03:20 04 Aug 04

If the exact model is just A7V, then there is a BIOS update to support 48-bit LBA - BIOS version 1011 dated 2 May 2002. click here If you click "More" against A7B BIOS 1011, you'll see that the BIOS update adds the support you need.

You should download both the latest flash utility (aflash221.zip) and the BIOS update itself. Follow the instructions for flashing BIOS.

There are other ASUS models A7V followed by a suffix. They tend to be later models. Most modern flash utilities will check whether the BIOS update is the right one for your motherboard, but double check your own model number yourself to be safe.

Otherwise, if you don't want to risk flashing the BIOS, gettting a PCI IDE controller card is still a good idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…