200 FSB TO 400 FSB

jbp1982 22:43 07 Mar 05

My system is about 2 and a half months old, when I bought it the sales guy plugged on about the athlon xp having a 400 fsb. Why is it at 200? I nosied around and read that that is the default. So I how do I put it to 400 FSB?

Bios only lets ya move it up two notches to 202MHz.

My Specs: Athlon XP 3200+, msi k7n2 DELTA2 platinum and 1GB RAM (2 sticks of PC3200, Kingston Value).

200MHz sounds slow when ya hear all the P4's at 550, or even 800MHz or whatever......

LastChip 22:56 07 Mar 05

Because the BIOS runs it at twice the clock speed. I expect it is set at 200x11 = 2200, which is the actual operating speed of the XP3200+. This is an equivalent performance to a Pentium 3.2Gig. That is how AMD markets their products.

My advice is, don't mess it around.

pc moron 22:58 07 Mar 05

200MHz FSB is correct for your system.

The manufacturers quote a 400 MHz FSB because even though your bus is set at 200Mhz, your menory and CPU can communicate at 400Mhz- you have Double Data Rate (DDR) memory.

If you look at the table in the link you'll see your CPU has multiplier of 11.

If you divide the speed of your CPU (2.2Ghz) by 11 you get 200Mhz- the speed of your motherboard's bus.

click here

jbp1982 23:05 07 Mar 05

OK, taken on board I'll leave well alone.

Never would have figured that on my own, thanks fellas.

But how does compare to a 3.2G pentium? The reason I didn't take pentium was cos it would have cost an extra £135. CPU was extra as was the intel motherboard the store offered.

LastChip 23:09 07 Mar 05

But the bottom line is, you will see in a practical sense, no discernible difference.

Take heart, you've saved yourself £135!

JonnyTub 23:14 07 Mar 05

Your machine will fly as much as it would with a pentium of the same kind spec, pentium's tend to be a bit quicker at video editing and athlon's better for gaming, each processor is built using completely different architecture so it's actually quite hard to make a direct comparison, apart from price :-) I've always had athlon's and found them to be superb chips, both in price, quality and performance. I real terms you, your mother father and sister would have a very difficult job in determining which was the better processor.

Your machine will fly as much as it would with a pentium of the same kind spec, pentium's tend to be a bit quicker at video editing and athlon's better for gaming, each processor is built using completely different architecture so it's actually quite hard to make a direct comparison, apart from price :-) I've always had athlon's and found them to be superb chips, both in price, quality and performance. In real terms you, your mother father and sister would have a very difficult job in determining which was the better processor.

oops

jbp1982 23:24 07 Mar 05

Again thanks for the input. Gonna put a tick on this now. Feel chuffed that I saved money, from what you guys are saying I made the right move.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…