//some 3rd party need geo

20 pin PSU on 24 pin MSI K8N SLI

leetay 20:01 17 Nov 05

Hi

I have a MSI K8N SLI Platinum board, just about to build it but have bought a 20 pin 600W PSU in error!
Anybody know if this will work or will a 24 pin be required??

Heard mixed views

Please advise

Cheers

howard63 20:03 17 Nov 05

with most of them at the moment the 20 pin goes in the left hand end when the catch is on top. If the mobo has the 4 connection socket your power supply should have that as well as the 20 pin and it will work just the same.

ade.h 20:18 17 Nov 05

I bought and fitted a Gigabyte motherboard just last week and found a little plastic blank covering the four sockets that are nearest to the edge of the board. I removed it to fit a 24 pin power connector, but its presence suggests to me that a 20 pin connector would be okay. Of course, that may be specific to certain makes/models of board.

Does the manual have anything to say about it? (If it's a bit patchy like many motherboard manuals are, then it may not mention it)

GaT7 20:40 17 Nov 05

You could get a 20 to 24 pin convertor/adaptor, like one of these click here, but it would be better to return the PSU & get one with a dedicated 24 pin connector & one that is meant for SLI (if you're going to be using that feature). G

leetay 21:06 17 Nov 05

Cheers for that guys, yes going off what has been said i'm going to get the 24 pin, if it goes pear shaped it could be VERY costly!!

Thanks again

Lee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…